Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best BUY NO LONGER SELLING

Beans

Red face Best BUY NO LONGER SELLING

They officially 'dont support or sell' anything 'open source' according to the techs in patchogue, ny.

I cant find the product on the shelf, it isnt listed online on the website and all I get is odd looks when I mention CANONOCAL anywhere.
    WE NEED TO FIX THIS.
    The main reason to SELL ubuntu was CUSTOMER SUPPORT so people could switch and NOT SPEND $300 to get a OS up and running,
    Not to mention the slowness and ineffeciently of windows (XP -->7).

Time to let CANONOCAL know about this INDUSTRY BOYCOTT of OPEN SOURCE.
    Half the servers out there are running a *NIX variant anyway.

TIME to RE EDUCATE the NEXT generation of GEEKS and TECHNICIANS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Best BUY NO LONGER SELLING

Right on....
    Robert
    The question is more important than the answer...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Source...?
    Too bad

Beans
    Hidden!

Yeah we gotta START the REVOLUTION all by OUR selves. Uh, no.

Open source OSes will never be popular as long as MS is doing its lobbying and stores are making money bundling crap with their PCs.
    Last edited by Spice Weasel; September 6th, 2010 at 08:05 PM.

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Given the average level of technical knowledge I have seen at Best Buy it is probably a good thing that they are not selling Ubuntu anymore. (to be honest I was not even aware they did in the first place).

Just today I was there to check some stuff out and over heard one of their techs trying to tell a customer that the 'smaller' external usb drives were better because there were no moving parts. I thought wow... did they put an SSD drive in the 2.5" portable external drives... and then I asked the sales guy, "which one?"

He then hold up the Western Digital Elements 500GB drive and said this one and all the small ones. I have a hard time resisting when someone is obviously clueless or down right dishonest. I set the record straight by telling him that the difference is the size of the drive. The desktop drives might have 7200RPM drives and the laptop 5400RPM drives, but they all have moving parts. He still insisted that they did not. I asked him to look at the package and explain the fact that is said it was a 5400RPM drive. He then got frustrated and told the customer, "This man knows more than I do; let him help you."

The guy wanted to have three computers connect to an external backup solution. I showed him a few of the retail networked drive systems.

I have yet to have a Best Buy employee have a clue.

Beans

TIME to RE EDUCATE the NEXT generation of GEEKS and TECHNICIANS.
    At Best Buy? Heh, I think Best Buy deliberately hires incompetent people so that they can get customers to buy expensive things they don't need. (Monster cable anyone?) Better look elsewhere.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    Given the average level of technical knowledge I have seen at Best Buy it is probably a good thing that they are not selling Ubuntu anymore. (to be honest I was not even aware they did in the first place).

Just today I was there to check some stuff out and over heard one of their techs trying to tell a customer that the 'smaller' external usb drives were better because there were no moving parts. I thought wow... did they put an SSD drive in the 2.5" portable external drives... and then I asked the sales guy, "which one?"

He then hold up the Western Digital Elements 500GB drive and said this one and all the small ones. I have a hard time resisting when someone is obviously clueless or down right dishonest. I set the record straight by telling him that the difference is the size of the drive. The desktop drives might have 7200RPM drives and the laptop 5400RPM drives, but they all have moving parts. He still insisted that they did not. I asked him to look at the package and explain the fact that is said it was a 5400RPM drive. He then got frustrated and told the customer, "This man knows more than I do; let him help you."

The guy wanted to have three computers connect to an external backup solution. I showed him a few of the retail networked drive systems.

I have yet to have a Best Buy employee have a clue.
    We do not have Best Buy in New Zealand , but the staff be will just normal folk trying to make a living to put food on the table and a roof over their head, remember that. The tech training they receive is probably minimal.

I would guess the reason they no longer stock it was because it did not sell. You cannot make a company stock products by boycotts etc, show them a decent well prepared sales presentation with realistic sales growth projections then you might get somewhere.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think we are all with you here, but best buy is just a retailer.

It's the computer manufacturers (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc) who would ultimately have to create and support computer models that feature Ubuntu instead of Windows, and then work their product into those stores.

I know Dell does offer Ubuntu. Getting those models into best buy would be a logical first step.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The problem retail chains have with selling a LinuxPC to customers is that there is no ongoing market.
    A windows PC is just the start, then they can sell Anti-virus, office software and other programs, whereas a Linux PC comes with most stuff for free.
    The sig between the asterisks is SO COOL that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast