Thread: How are you promoting Ubuntu?

Beans

How are you promoting Ubuntu?

Hi guys,

Ubuntu is still fairly unknown in Lebanon, and the way I see it, not much effort is being made to make it more popular.
    So my question is, is there any plans to promote Ubuntu? What are you doing on a personal level in order to achieve this?

Any thoughts or comments?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How are you promoting Ubuntu?

I once say (back when they first started) some net-books in Target with Ubuntu installed, so at least Some corporations think it"s worth using.

Beans

Hey,

I suppose netbooks are a good target, since the new and improved version of vista, windows would consume around 500 to 600 mb. So suppose your netbook has 1 gb of ram you won't have much left for other processes such as the web browser and the music player...Anyway, I think Ubuntu has a potential for replacing windows on even normal desktops or laptops. If you are a casual user, and use your computer to browse the net, to listen to music, view photos, write documents...you can do it with Ubuntu.
    The problem with Ubunut remains with the way it solves problems. I mean, although I admit that Ubuntu is almost functional out of the box, you will come across a problem here and there, and this is where it gets exciting. Most the problems I have come across required the use of the terminal and entering weird commands, command that no user coming from windows background would have thought existed. Such technical stuff discourage the casual user, honestly.
    The other main issue is the software compatibility stuff. I guess many have one or a few software that they simply can't do without. The provided solutions (alternative software, Wine...) are not quite there yet.
    Having said that, is it possible to determine a target audience for Ubuntu or Linux in general? How would you reach it? How would you convince them to switch?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by EliBei View Post
    Hey,

I suppose netbooks are a good target, since the new and improved version of vista, windows would consume around 500 to 600 mb. So suppose your netbook has 1 gb of ram you won't have much left for other processes such as the web browser and the music player...Anyway, I think Ubuntu has a potential for replacing windows on even normal desktops or laptops. If you are a casual user, and use your computer to browse the net, to listen to music, view photos, write documents...you can do it with Ubuntu.
    The problem with Ubunut remains with the way it solves problems. I mean, although I admit that Ubuntu is almost functional out of the box, you will come across a problem here and there, and this is where it gets exciting. Most the problems I have come across required the use of the terminal and entering weird commands, command that no user coming from windows background would have thought existed. Such technical stuff discourage the casual user, honestly.
    The other main issue is the software compatibility stuff. I guess many have one or a few software that they simply can't do without. The provided solutions (alternative software, Wine...) are not quite there yet.
    Having said that, is it possible to determine a target audience for Ubuntu or Linux in general? How would you reach it? How would you convince them to switch?
    Well this is the best idea to start with.

I personally helped a friend who wanted to use a modeling software by installing on a netbook Ubuntu (don't remember which version, maybe it was 9.04).

I just joined th mailing list & the irc channel & will be following ;D
    [Dell Studio XPS 1640] [Core2Duo P8700 2.53GHz] [500/4GB][ATI Radeon HD 4670] [12.04/Win7]
    [Dell Inspiron 8600] [? 1.73GHz] [80/1 GB] [-] [10.04/XP]
    [No Brand] [PIII (Coppermine) 1GHz] [80GB/248 MB] [-] [#!/lubuntu 11.10/XP]

Beans

we already did many events and lately was in AUST and in CNAM and we went on TV you can check on youtube and even promoting in GOV places and need help if anyone can help us to do more events and TV interviews would be very helpful and thankful .

Regards

Beans

I think in lebanon the public exposure is effective to a certain degree, however i think ubuntu should be introduced in person to the prospective user...also, for the common user there a should be a support team ready to help with the terminal commands, and such... ubuntu is an amazing os that provides alot of ease, safety and comfort (if provided adequately) personally im spreading if around to my friends, and in turn they are doing the same with theirs, so i think the best marketing strategy is to rely on is "word of mouth". this method provides the new user that has just transitioned from MS to have a a contact person to ask for help... we really should stick together, especially in lebanon in order to let ubuntu reach the highest level of popularity it can.
    does anyone know a number of how many ubuntu users there is in lebanon... anw good luck guys!