Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broken Theora support (libavcodec)

Beans

Re: Broken Theora support (libavcodec)

Seeing as though libtheora 1.1.X is the current lib in lucid then the lucid ffmpeg should decode ogv encoded with it. A quick test with your sample does not decode on lucid with the stock ffmpeg.

After work I'll rebuild the lucid ffmpeg source using the newer theora and see if it then does. If so then that's something that could be addressed - as far as trying to get a newer ffmpeg build in lucid I'm not wasting my time anymore...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Red face Re: Broken Theora support (libavcodec)

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Seeing as though libtheora 1.1.X is the current lib in lucid then the lucid ffmpeg should decode ogv encoded with it. A quick test with your sample does not decode on lucid with the stock ffmpeg.

After work I'll rebuild the lucid ffmpeg source using the newer theora and see if it then does. If so then that's something that could be addressed - as far as trying to get a newer ffmpeg build in lucid I'm not wasting my time anymore...
    Indeed, because libavcodec in Karmic is not up-to-date as well.
    When, as I wrote previously, just moved in the current test applet directory the shared objects (libraries) taken from latest ffmpeg svn cut, everything (magically i'd say ) worked.
    Imho is just that current (in Ubuntu, not ffmpeg) libavcodec don't support proper theora decoding.

Thanks again, let us know your findings!
    Last edited by Emanuele_Z; February 19th, 2010 at 05:01 PM.

Beans

Well as I thought the ffmpeg source used in karmic and lucid is too old to support the new libtheora (will build off of without error, won't decode. (did both a static and full debian package builds inc. the extra ver.'s, ect.

So maybe you can make a case there for a newer ffmpeg source - though good luck there...

Had previously tested using more up to date shared ffmpeg libs in karmic and while I certainly didn't try all apps, found only 1 regression - the ffmpeg export in audacity. (and that's because audacity is patched only to accept a specific major/minor version of some ffmpeg libs, a re-build with an adjusted patch fixed that.

And as previously mentioned the whole 0.5 vs. 0.6 is somewhat utter nonsense. (from my perspective which is admittedly more narrow

Beans

Hi Emanuele,

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuele_Z View Post
    So, as seen as that file ( http://web.mit.edu/xiphmont/Public/t...rix-300-AQ.ogv ) is not broken (according to Theora devs that file is made against the finalized Theora video stream format) libavcodec and the other ffmpeg libraries (I suppose) are broken in current Ubuntu packages.
    I have come rather late into this thread but I suspect Reinhard is correct in that the most current libavcodec, let alone the older Ubuntu version, struggles with this particular file:

Code:
    andrew@skamandros~/Desktop$ mplayer -vc fftheora matrix-300-AQ.ogv 
    MPlayer SVN-r30637-4.3.3 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team

Playing matrix-300-AQ.ogv.
    [Ogg] stream 0: video (Theora v3.2.1), -vid 0
    Ogg file format detected.
    VIDEO:  [theo]  640x272  24bpp  24.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
    ==========================================================================
    Forced video codec: fftheora
    Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
    [theora @ 0x8954c00]Missing extradata!
    Could not open codec.
    VDecoder init failed :(
    Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x6F656874.

Exiting... (End of file)
    But the file itself is playable with external codec:

Code:
    andrew@skamandros~/Desktop$ mplayer -vc theora matrix-300-AQ.ogv 
    MPlayer SVN-r30637-4.3.3 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team

Playing matrix-300-AQ.ogv.
    [Ogg] stream 0: video (Theora v3.2.1), -vid 0
    Ogg file format detected.
    VIDEO:  [theo]  640x272  24bpp  24.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
    Forced video codec: theora
    Opening video decoder: [theora] Theora/VP3
    Movie-Aspect is 2.35:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
    VO: [xv] 640x272 => 640x272 Planar YV12 
    Selected video codec: [theora] vfm: theora (Theora (free, reworked VP3))
    Audio: no sound
    Starting playback...
    V: 219.2 5261/5261  4%  1%  0.0% 0 0 

Exiting... (End of file)
    Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

...correct in that the most current libavcodec
    Interesting, didn't look at that file in itself. I guess something to try is encode a video using the current theora and see ...

Anyway here the file in question does play back with ffplay, and if avcodec is forced in vlc it also plays back fine (vlc defaults to theora module

mplayer does exactly as you've shown.
    most current
    Well that can be a subjective thing, in ubuntu maybe there is a need for a more current version.

[0x8f1bed0] avcodec decoder debug: ffmpeg codec (Xiph.org's Theora Video) started
    [0x8f1bed0] main decoder debug: using decoder module "avcodec"
    (vlc 1.05 w/ ffmpeg 21785
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Broken Theora support (libavcodec)

Hi guys,

first of all thanks for you support.
    In all honesty I think is pretty simple issue:
    The libraries (libavcodec/libavformat/...) that are in 9.10 (and apparently even 10.04) are old and don't support the finalized theora format (and given all the emphasis that Mozilla/Opera are giving regarding the html video tag this seems quite frankly important issue).
    Now, working applications or are using libtheora or a static up-to-date libavcodec implementation (so the latter applications don't rely on the default system's broken libavcodec).
    The good thing about shared objects (dynamic libraries) is that if the ABI doesn't change (and it did not) you just update the libraries and all the applications will benefit.
    So I guess the solution is straightforward...we don't need to update ffmpeg per se, rather the underlying libraries.

Thanks again for your help/tests,
    let me know what you think!
    I don't know you, but this is very important to me because we're talking about open format/open standards. And Ubuntu imho can't afford not to fully support these...

Cheers,

Ps. please do post your opinions in the bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...eg/+bug/522812 but keep on discussing on the forum!
    PPs. I just replace the updated binary libav* shared libraries on my system to test it and...magic! As expected it works!
    Last edited by Emanuele_Z; February 20th, 2010 at 12:53 AM.

Beans

Hi mc4man,

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Interesting, didn't look at that file in itself. I guess something to try is encode a video using the current theora and see...
    I have produced a simple one to investigate a little further:

Code:
    wget http://www.andrews-corner.org/samples/Rammstein_Du_Hast.ogv
    and it looks like I must eat my words a little as ffplay has no trouble with this file, it is just MPlayer that barfs...

Edit: MPlayer playback with libavcodec possible with -demuxer lavf .... Hmmmm.. maybe if I don't post in this thread any more people will forget my idiocy..

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.46; February 20th, 2010 at 02:03 AM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: Broken Theora support (libavcodec)

Hi guys.

I've compiled the latest svn libav* for x86-64.
    If you want to test the sample av reference program against the finalized format ogv without specifying any additional command line parameter just do the following:
    1) download the libraries : http://rapidshare.com/files/35324609...l.tar.bz2.html
    2) extract the libraries
    3) type
    Code:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd`:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    4) get the reference movie here: http://web.mit.edu/xiphmont/Public/t...rix-300-AQ.ogv (this is from a theora dev page)
    5) run the sample program
    Code:
    ./av_sample ./matrix-300-AQ.ogv
    And it will work!

Cheers,

Btw, how can we ask Ubuntu packages maintainers to fix it?

Beans

Btw, how can we ask Ubuntu packages maintainers to fix it?
    So I guess the solution is straightforward...we don't need to update ffmpeg per se, rather the underlying libraries.
    By requesting they use a current or more current ffmpeg source (ffmpeg), and the odds are, as mentioned here and in lp, they atm won't..

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Broken Theora support (libavcodec)

Hi mate,

I just don't understand why.
    Why do you think they would not?

Cheers,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12