Thread: dmesg eth0 ipv6 duplicate address detected

Beans

dmesg eth0 ipv6 duplicate address detected

As the title says, I have been getting that message in dmesg and also not able to ping anything. If I boot into say clonezilla, I get the same thing when trying to bring my network up (eth0)... if I move the network cable to a 9.10 box sitting beside the 9.04 box it works. So it appears it is only on this machine (no matter what OS). Oh one more thing, If I plug directly into the modem it seems to grab an IP address and everything seems to work, but not with the router.

I am not using network manager, and this only started happening when I have been messing around trying to get my wireless working.

I notice when i do a dhclient eth0 , it does the "configuring devices" etc.. then where it shows the loading samba it hangs before assigning my static IP. If I am connected directly to the modem , it does not hang and the process is pretty quick.

I hope that is enough info to get some help.. Oh , when dmesg shows ipv6 duplicate address detected, what address is it referring to? What can I check?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: dmesg eth0 ipv6 duplicate address detected

I can see that it won't be long until I will need to learn IPv6... About all I might suggest is to check ifconfig -a to see what addresses are in use.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

katie-xx is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi
    You might want to take a look at this article
    http://timesinker.blogspot.com/2009/...-problems.html
    Kate

Beans

I am using 2.6.30 jaunty .. does this still apply? and I am not using ipv6 either , only ipv4. where did this ipv6 come into play all of a sudden? My box was perfectly fine last week

Thanks again for the help

Jay

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jhardydj View Post
    and I am not using ipv6 either , only ipv4. where did this ipv6 come into play all of a sudden?
    Ahhh - I thought you were setting up IPv6 network (sorry). IPv6 has been in Ubuntu for awhile - although most of us haven't really started using it (and some have disabled it...).

Wonder if wired and wireless somehow have same IPv6 address? But modem or router shouldn't matter. wired/wireless/router - two of them the same???
    Last edited by Iowan; February 19th, 2010 at 12:00 AM.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

I have my cable modem plugged into the router.. and my jaunty box wired , but does have a wireless card in it that usually just disable.

Jay