Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: replace Express Gate with UNR on alternate power button

Beans

Re: replace Express Gate with UNR on alternate power button

Oh you silly asus with your silly tactics. Used paragon partition manager to unhide the recovery partition, and assign a drive letter so it can be accessed via windows.

Will try booting into linux mint soon

EDIT: Uh, little update. Apparently linux mint installed grub (before, probably) the MBR, which is not what i want. Will restore the MBR first, then restore grub like this:

1. Boot with any live CD (I've done it with Ubuntu Live DVD)
    2. Get a root shell -> Applications / System Tools / Root Terminal
    3. Make a folder -> mkdir /mnt/ubuntu
    4. Check the Ubuntu partition -> fdisk -l (Mine is /dev/hda6)
    5. Mount the root partition of Ubuntu -> mount -t ext3 /dev/hda4 /mnt/ubuntu (replace /dev/hda4 by your Ubuntu partition determined at the step 4)
    6. Chroot the mounted partition -> chroot /mnt/ubuntu
    7. Restore Grub / the initial MBR -> grub-install /dev/hda (tis is where i change it to 'hda6', where my linux is installed
    8. Exit the shell
    9. Reboot

Would this be the correct way of doing things?

EDIT2: I'm not quite sure how I would install grub to the linux partition without compromising the MBR.
    EDIT3: Oh my, installed xubuntu because it's sexier and now i've discovered the 'install bootloader to this other thing'- option. I think i maybe getting close now.
    EDIT4: There we go, got it working. Thanks!
    Last edited by HuRRaCaNe; September 10th, 2011 at 03:31 PM.

Beans

Thanks to the stboot (thank you for that!) I'm able to load grub4dos (using asus ul30a), now I'm trying to load chromeos vanilla from the image file. This are my config lines:

title Boot Disk Image
    map --mem (hd0,0)/ChromeOS-Vanilla-1232.0.2011_10_27_1640-ra72180fc.img (hd1)
    map --hook
    root (hd1)
    chainloader (hd1)+1
    rootnoverify (hd1)

But I end up with error 63

I know I could install chromeos, but it needs two partitions, and I already have a lot and space is limited

Beans

Getting a 1215P with EG in a few days... trying to find ways to TWEAK duh EG/W7.

You all rock.... with this work to IMPROVE the EG thing...

I'll Macrium Reflect Free n copy C: drive as a bkup to stick.
    Also unhide EG partition with EPM free and than copy that partition to USB with Macrium Bkup.
    THAN
    Partition the big partition into Logical partitions. than and wipe C: with LiveMint CD.
    Reinstall W7 on C: without SP1, with Macrium Restore and than install MINT 11 with Grub2 on Mint "/" partition.

Reboot to W7 and EasyBCD the MBR to add Mint to boot on that side.

And if all works with my new 1215P than do more Coping C: and Mint Backup those partitions again for another BKUP....

Than may re-install EG to W7..... see if EasyBCD can adjust that situation so I have a TRI boot to choose whatever.

Since I have "terminal fear" I'd try all this great programing, but for the n@@b in me.... I'll just watch and learn.

Ya can call that n@@b stew. LOL

Great Board. THX

Beans

Smile Re: replace Express Gate with UNR on alternate power button

Hi, it would be great help if someone can explain how to use express gate cloud button to boot ubuntu step by step.
    and of course it would be fantastic if someone can make a video.
    Please try to use as simple language as possible.
    I have 1015PN netbook.
    Thanks

Beans

I have an Asus G50Vt-A1 and will try this metod (stboot) as soon as i get my new internal HDD and some time to sink in this project.
    If all goes well will be assigning it to Android-x86 and then will have a full lightweight OS instead of the ExpressGate (too many OS installed actually on my laptop). Just one question: to use this metod is necessary the bootloader of the OS? Or can we just assign it to the partition of it? Asking that because i already have 4 bootloaders on system (Chameleon, Grub 2, Grub and Windows bootloader) and wondering how to manage all of them with that.

The idea of an instructive video is quite interesting, would help many people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

@Try Again and others

I have been pulling my hair trying to make the Dell Precision ON button (Dell Precision M6500) boot anything other than the total crap Reader 2.1 Dell offers.
    It is a VERY crippled down version of Slashtop, using splash.idx and CEFULL just like ExpressGate (the crippling is so deep, the hole thing is contained in a 1.5mb CEFULL file).
    I tried stboot 0.1.1 and 0.2 methods, i even tried a method i saw that uses PowerCinema for Linux (that also uses grub, is for Latitude E4200 - 4300, but the bios loader module is very similar and again made by Splashtop).

It always gives me the message "bla bla boot to windows and repair or reinstall Reader bla bla".

I am quite experienced with tweaking so i don't think it is a procedure problem, but rather some Dell specific thing.

Any pointers? Thanks...
    Last edited by Asxetos; May 30th, 2012 at 09:44 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Asxetos View Post
    @Try Again and others

I have been pulling my hair trying to make the Dell Precision ON button (Dell Precision M6500) boot anything other than the total crap Reader 2.1 Dell offers...
    I'd need a copy of the original CEFULL and most importantly a copy of the bios ROM, so I can pinpoint the differences between Dell's CEFULL and my implementation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for the reply, i uploaded the files in link below (CEFULL and the ROM module extracted from bios, not the full bios).

http://www.multiupload.nl/HW9HS14K1Q

Any advise is welcome...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Asxetos View Post
    Thanks for the reply, i uploaded the files in link below (CEFULL and the ROM module extracted from bios, not the full bios).

http://www.multiupload.nl/HW9HS14K1Q

Any advise is welcome...
    Well, from what I see, your DVM loader is quite different from mine (coming from an Asus laptop). I still have to understand what it does expect in order to bypass the checks. You should have uploaded the full BIOS image, because it may contain a stripped down CEFULL whose function is to load the CEFULL on the HDD. If I can extract it and try it on my Asus, maybe I can figure out a solution for your Dell laptop.

EDIT: I'm so stupid, the included CEFULL is already in 26_30.ROM... Gotta make some tests now.
    Last edited by Try Again; June 4th, 2012 at 05:38 PM.

Beans

I managed to install the Dell Reader on my computer and it loaded the Reader CEFULL. After then, I tried the embedded CEFULL from the BIOS, nothing was loaded, nothing was shown, but the computer was responsive and rebooted as soon as I pressed a key. It will be hard to know what this particular CEFULL expect to load my own CEFULL as long as I can't test the real thing on a Dell laptop...

Now I have a question: did you still have this 2GB "READER" partition? Maybe the DVM loader needs this specific partition with some sort of marker I'm not aware of and will only load the CEFULL on the HDD only from this partition.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast