Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: replace Express Gate with UNR on alternate power button

Beans

Re: replace Express Gate with UNR on alternate power button

Quote Originally Posted by Nohajc View Post
    OK, I may have a solution for booting another distro with ASUS ExpressGate Cloud.
    But, as I haven't got any real ASUS box (at least not yet, I am planning to buy eee soon), I was testing the boot process only in VirtualBox (quite surprising that I could actually install ExpressGate from a Windows XP virtual machine - and it worked).

After experimenting with menu.lst located in C:\ExpressGate I realized that this particular version of Grub is somewhat crippled to say the least. And it's probably on purpose. It seems that it lacks any support of ext file system completely.
    As soon as you try to change root to an ext partition it just gets stuck. However, it can start loading any kernel and initrd image present in the same (Windows) partition. That is until you try to set the root to a linux partition - in that case, you end up with kernel panic. In one word: this Grub is completely useless.

To "boot up our way from this mess" we need a better bootloader. So, I figured why not use Grub4dos. To make it clear, I wasn't trying to replace current Grub (maybe it could be done, but I'm not that capable hacker). I chose a simpler way.

This is what you should do:
    (I'll need someone to test this on actual Asus box to determine if it is in fact possible)

1. Download Grub4dos from sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/grub4dos/)

2. Install your preferred linux distro (Ubuntu Natty in this example)
    When you'll be setting up bootloader, and this is important, you should probably install it to the partition (e.g. /dev/sda3) not to MBR (we don't want to compromise Asus' way of booting) Also, we must not delete Windows partition, of course.

This is how the partition table could look like at the end:
    Code:
    /dev/sda1 [BOOT] NTFS - Windows loader
    /dev/sda2        NTFS - Windows root (C:\)
    /dev/sda3        ext4  - Ubuntu root (/)
    /dev/sda5        swap
    (and Ubuntu's Grub2 goes to /dev/sda3)

3. Edit menu.lst and prepare Grub4dos
    The original C:\ExpressGate\menu.lst looks like this:
    Code:
    default saved
    timeout 0
    hiddenmenu

title minik
      kernel /ExpressGate/vace ro no_win_installer=0 pci=nocrs i8042.reset quiet video=intelfb acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_display_output=vendor vaKBD=us VALANG=en_US fastreboot=no acpi_osi=Linux av_flag=1 rw_flag=1 debug_log=1 nwm=1
      initrd /ExpressGate/vace-id
    title Win_1 
      savedefault 0    
      rootnoverify (hd0,0)
      chainloader +1
    title Win_2
      savedefault 0
      rootnoverify (hd0,1)
      chainloader +1
    title Win_3
      savedefault 0
      rootnoverify (hd0,2)
      chainloader +1
    title Win_4
      savedefault 0
      rootnoverify (hd0,3)
      chainloader +1
    Now, we'll just edit the first entry:
    Code:
    title minik
      kernel /grub.exe
    title Win_1 
      savedefault 0    
    For this to work we'll need to copy grub.exe and grldr from grub4dos archive to C:\
    and the we create second menu.lst file also in C:\ (it will be used for accessing our ext partition and loading Grub2)

It can look something like this:
    Code:
    timeout 0
    default 0
    hiddenmenu

title Ubuntu 11.04
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/grub/core.img
    From Grub4dos you could of course load Ubuntu kernel directly but this way you won't have to change anything manually after a kernel update (just let Grub2 take care of it).

4. Reboot the system and see what happens

I repeat that this is not a verified solution! It is only a theory proven to work in VirtualBox but no physical environment yet. So, try this at home only if you actually know what you're doing.

OK, now I just wait for you to try it and confirm whether it works.
    Unfortunately, owners of the older versions of ExpressGate cannot use this method because it is based on Splashtop and I've no idea how it boots... but maybe someone will figure it out eventually.

I'm willing to try this on an ASUS N53SV which has ExpressGateCloud installed.

One question. After modding the original menu.lst in C:\ExpressGate, I need to copy the new grub.exe (4DOS) and it's menu.lst directly to C:\ root?
    Also, before doing all this, I need to install Ubuntu. But it should work in the same way with any distribution of Linux? Not just Ubuntu, right?

Beans

Yes and yes. It will work with any operating system you can boot from grub. That includes even various versions of Windows.
    Regarding menu.lst: First stays in EG directory, second goes to root, just as you said. You can either copy the grub's default menu and edit it or write one from scratch. That's probably cleaner.

Anyway, as I pointed out in my later post, the grub4dos' menu can be incorporated into the grub.exe itself (see the patch script) so you end up with just one separate menu.lst in EG directory after all.

Beans

Now, I haven't used linux an aweful lot (though, I will soon)

Knowing that you need to install the linux distro first, wouldn't you have the grub bootloader when booting up windows (with the normal power button)? Or could you just remove that, after you've set up the grub4dos (using fdisk /mbr in said windows installation)

Also, would reïnstalling windows not mess up the connection between expressgate and the already installed windows? Or can you install express gate on top of that windows installation? (implying your computer had express gate in the first place)
    Last edited by HuRRaCaNe; August 15th, 2011 at 06:19 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HuRRaCaNe View Post
    Now, I haven't used linux an aweful lot (though, I will soon)

Knowing that you need to install the linux distro first, wouldn't you have the grub bootloader when booting up windows (with the normal power button)? Or could you just remove that, after you've set up the grub4dos (using fdisk /mbr in said windows installation)

Also, would reïnstalling windows not mess up the connection between expressgate and the already installed windows? Or can you install express gate on top of that windows installation? (implying your computer had express gate in the first place)
    Honestly I wouldn't recommend this option to choose between Windows/Linux. Setting it up for Chromium OS and such is tempting (and I was very interested in it myself until I discovered how much it supported my hardware). Personally I found a regular grub2 installation coupled with a bit of extra functionality from the grub-customizer package much more usable. The biggest perk being the ability to boot the last selected OS, giving you persistent restarts.

Though tweaking for the sake of tweaking is something I can relate to easily after breaking my installation so many times.

Also to answer the second question, you can download the installer from Asus to do just that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bakape View Post
    Honestly I wouldn't recommend this option to choose between Windows/Linux. Setting it up for Chromium OS and such is tempting (and I was very interested in it myself until I discovered how much it supported my hardware). Personally I found a regular grub2 installation coupled with a bit of extra functionality from the grub-customizer package much more usable. The biggest perk being the ability to boot the last selected OS, giving you persistent restarts.

Though tweaking for the sake of tweaking is something I can relate to easily after breaking my installation so many times.

Also to answer the second question, you can download the installer from Asus to do just that.
    I don't see why I wouldn't use the second button, which will be completely useless otherwise, to boot into linux. Windows will definitely be my primary OS (I'm sorry ) but I will definitely have to use linux either way. So having a dedicated button for linux is such a nice extra, is it not? Instead of having to deal with grub to select either windows or linux, you can just press this button here or the other one there.

I don't see why having one button with grub is more convenient. Well I guess it's a personal preference

Beans

I don't see why I wouldn't use the second button, which will be completely useless otherwise, to boot into linux. Windows will definitely be my primary OS (I'm sorry ) but I will definitely have to use linux either way. So having a dedicated button for linux is such a nice extra, is it not? Instead of having to deal with grub to select either windows or linux, you can just press this button here or the other one there.

I don't see why having one button with grub is more convenient. Well I guess it's a personal preference
    Well, yes it is. Perhaps I scheduled a restart too many times and went on to brew a cup of tea, just to come back and have the wrong login screen staring at me. But if you are sticking to Windows most of the time, that is a completely different situation, and the Linux button is that much more convenient. Sigh, if only there was a way to "talk to grub" and schedule you next boot choice from within Win/Lin.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bakape View Post
    Sigh, if only there was a way to "talk to grub" and schedule you next boot choice from within Win/Lin.
    Not even that, it should know all by itself. Mind reading, telepathy, whatever.

Technology!

Beans

Not even that, it should know all by itself. Mind reading, telepathy, whatever.

Technology!
    Yup!

But on a serious note, date/time, wifi network recognition or even dare I say geopositioning shouldn't be that hard to implement, if we could just "talk to grub". Not that I'm a developer, so I have no idea if that is even possible.

So off topic...

Beans

Actually, you can talk to grub. There's the "grub-set-default" script which you can invoke before reboot.

I'm using it in combination with EG button because I couldn't reboot back to linux without it.
    This way, I need one additional grub installation in mbr but it works without breaking the Windows boot or the EG button functionality.

Beans

Hi. I found a way to boot whatever OS you want using the Splashtop button, using the CEFULL file to hijack the boot process and execute your own boot code. A Splashtop OS installation is not necessary to achieve this, eliminating the need for Windows. It's my first true program in assembly, I didn't try to optimize my code and everything is pretty much hard-coded (suggestions are welcome). However, it's been a good exercise to practice switching between protected mode and real mode.

The tarball, containing source and binaries : stboot-0.1.tar.gz

Documentation and instructions can be found in the README.

Testers needed!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast