Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximum number of clients reached

Beans

Maximum number of clients reached

In the last week or so, I've frequently been running out of X server client connection slots and getting "Maximum number of clients reached" errors. For example, I'm getting it right now and I'm running 3 pterms, Chrome, and Thunderbird; I've even killed my panel. 'xwininfo -root -children' produces what seems to be an absurd number of X clients (150-ish, when it's able to make a connection), even immediately after Gnome/Xfce startup.

It doesn't take long. A day at most. I've had this system up and running for months, and this just started happening. I did install some X development libraries (x11proto-core-dev, libmotif-dev, x11proto-print-dev, and x11proto-xext-dev plus their dependencies) about two weeks ago, but this problem has not been happening that long. I've installed other packages, but nothing that would seem to have any relation to this problem.

I've logged out and in, rebooted, and changed from Gnome to Xfce, and none of the changes helped. Can anyone help? Even any ideas about how to track down what programs are creating the connections in the xwininfo output would help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Maximum number of clients reached

I'm getting the same thing, and have discovered that if I close chrome, I'm able to open new windows again. When I restart chrome with the same windows, I don't run out of clients again for another few hours to a day. This is on 64-bit Jaunty.

Note that I don't have the same problems on my 32-bit Jaunty machine.

Beans

I just encountered this problem after installing the Lastpass extension for Google Chrome. Disabling the extension solved the problem.

Beans
    Distro

That's interesting, as I also recently added lastpass (and chrome). I had used lastpass with firefox for months without any problems.

Beans

Please give this a try (you will need to first uninstall because the version hasn't changed), we are hoping it is fixed:

https://lastpass.com/lpchrome_bin.crx

Thanks
    Bob (from LastPass)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by teh zcat View Post
    I just encountered this problem after installing the Lastpass extension for Google Chrome. Disabling the extension solved the problem.
    Thanks for that, I was looking for the solution for days. Yesterday, I suspended my PC and today when come back I can't even see anything display on my screen and had to restart PC again. After several hours I can't open any windows.

I tried to close all Chrome windows, everything works fine again.

Wish Lastpass fixes this issue, since it is my favorite extension in Firefox. If not, I will use Firefox only

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bob lp View Post
    Please give this a try (you will need to first uninstall because the version hasn't changed), we are hoping it is fixed:

Thanks
    Bob (from LastPass)
    Thanks, that seems to have solved the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by bob lp View Post

Thanks
    Bob (from LastPass)
    Work like a charm. I can confirm that there is no error at all after install that package.

Everyone should notice about that. And I think that thread is solved.

Beans
    Distro

Worked for me too.

Beans

Fix works for me too. Thanks, Bob from Lastpass!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast