Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: no CUPS webadmin access?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    pacific northwest
    Beans
    244
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    no CUPS webadmin access?

    Hello,

    On my recommendation, my dad made the transition to Ubuntu from an old WinXP computer via a System76 Meerkat Nettop. He loves it so far -- it does everything he needs it to do and it is MUCH lower maintenance.

    One thing has been bothering me (as admin): No access to http://localhost:631 on his computer. I can't for the life of me figure out why it is. What can I do to enable CUPS web admin interface access??

    Thank you System76!! Wonderful counterpoint to that SmellsLikeDell. As a side note: If you had a small/light laptop with solid firewire (a la Dell XPS m1330; for audio streaming), I'd buy my next upgrade through you! I hate those 17" clunkers.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Beans
    5,638
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: no CUPS webadmin access?

    The webadmin interface works for me on a fresh install of 9.10.

    What error does firefox give? Server not found?
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

    Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Beans
    569
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: no CUPS webadmin access?

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanay View Post
    Hello,

    On my recommendation, my dad made the transition to Ubuntu from an old WinXP computer via a System76 Meerkat Nettop. He loves it so far -- it does everything he needs it to do and it is MUCH lower maintenance.

    One thing has been bothering me (as admin): No access to http://localhost:631 on his computer. I can't for the life of me figure out why it is. What can I do to enable CUPS web admin interface access??

    Thank you System76!! Wonderful counterpoint to that SmellsLikeDell. As a side note: If you had a small/light laptop with solid firewire (a la Dell XPS m1330; for audio streaming), I'd buy my next upgrade through you! I hate those 17" clunkers.
    I ran into that once but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.
    I think it was a permissions issue of some sort

    You might try sudo firefox just to see what happens.

    jdb

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    pacific northwest
    Beans
    244
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: no CUPS webadmin access?

    i'm away from his computer, but here's what i remember:

    1. i type in http://localhost:631 (or click on the link)
    2. instead of going to the CUPS web admin interface, Firefox looks up www.localhost.com, and
    3. eventually returns a "server not found" error

    ethan

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Beans
    5,638
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: no CUPS webadmin access?

    Stupid question: Do other websites work? i.e is File > Work Offline selected?

    Did JDB's solution work?

    Try running...
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install cups
    ...from a terminal.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

    Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    272
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: no CUPS webadmin access?

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanay View Post
    i'm away from his computer, but here's what i remember:

    1. i type in http://localhost:631 (or click on the link)
    2. instead of going to the CUPS web admin interface, Firefox looks up www.localhost.com, and
    3. eventually returns a "server not found" error

    ethan
    What are the proxy settings for this machine/firefox? It sounds to me as though firefox is sending the request through a proxy server.

    Can you install the telnet client and see what you get when you type
    Code:
    telnet localhost 631
    at the command prompt? If you get an http response then CUPS is probably okay. Also check /etc/hosts has the correct entry for localhost (compare with a working machine).

    Andrew

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    pacific northwest
    Beans
    244
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: no CUPS webadmin access?

    Thomas -- yes, other websites work fine (and no, not a stupid question, just part of the diagnostic process)

    I will try the suggestions everyone has mentioned when I have access to the computer again, and report back.

    thanks!

    ethan

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    pacific northwest
    Beans
    244
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: no CUPS webadmin access?

    alright, here's the update:

    1.
    Code:
    sudo firefox
    same behavior

    2.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install cups
    same behavior

    3.
    Code:
    $ telnet localhost 631
    telnet: could not resolve localhost/631: Name or service not known
    any other suggestions?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Beans
    192
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: no CUPS webadmin access?

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanay View Post
    3.
    Code:
    $ telnet localhost 631
    telnet: could not resolve localhost/631: Name or service not known
    any other suggestions?
    Have you tried to hit it by IP address?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    pacific northwest
    Beans
    244
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: no CUPS webadmin access?

    How do you access the CUPS web interface via IP address?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •