Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Microsoft Surface =/= FOSS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Microsoft Surface =/= FOSS

I am extremely skeptical about such things.
    One reason for this is a job I had about 2 years ago at a motor show. Someone had had the bright idea that the presenter could stand at a Plexiglass lectern which was the monitor of a computer. The screen on the lectern was also projected onto a big screen behind the presenter so that the people could see what was going on. The lectern was only one layer of plexiglass and see through. The navigation was hand gestures across the screen on the lectern, and all it really did was play films about the product.

Great idea, super high tech image, super cool. They rehearsed with it for 3 days before they had the device sorted out so that it was half way reliable and the presenters knew which gestures would work and which wouldn't. My impression was that such things will probably work one day, but at the moment they are everything other than reliable and easy to use. And the question is, who needs it?
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, it is closed source. Microsoft has a tendency to create proprietary applications.

Would I help make a Linux Distribution that would copy Surface's capabilities? Not for free.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Yes, it is closed source. Microsoft has a tendency to create proprietary applications.

Would I help make a Linux Distribution that would copy Surface's capabilities? Not for free.
    But free is the entire idea of FOSS!

Free Open Source Whodawhatsit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Woolio1 View Post
    But free is the entire idea of FOSS!

Free Open Source Whodawhatsit.
    The F in FOSS stands for free as in freedom, not free as in beer.
    Last edited by Giant Speck; February 19th, 2010 at 03:07 AM. Reason: I'm a retarded moose.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    The F in FOSS stands for free as in freedom, not free as in beer.
    Hmm... So why don't we pay for Ubuntu?

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

That doesn't mean it's required to be sold for money, it just means that it can be. The great majority of FOSS software is free anyway.

Beans

You can if you wish

example

http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4b7dfb...ct/View/XS8085
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mah boi. This source code is what all true warriors strive for!
    .i coi rodo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Because it's not in Canonical's business model to charge for the OS itself, and it's too reliant on the community-driven development model for that to be likely.

I think Frak and Giant-Speck are saying, though, that something as revolutionary as a tabletop touch UI OS is in a completely different category than something like Ubuntu, which is a very nicely-done prepackaging of existing software based on tried-and-true interface concepts and computing principles. As nice as Ubuntu is, it's not a revolutionary step forward in terms of OSes, or even *nix distributions.

Also: yes, the underlying philosophical justifications of F/LOSS have to do with the exchange of code, concepts and design strategies, as a way of speeding up innovation. Historically, it has very little to do with making binary copies of software available for free to the consumer. The fact that open code leads to the latter is a common side effect, but it was never the principle which led to the movement in the first place. And that's one of the limitations that many developers see in F/LOSS: it might benefit the world more if I released my source code to everyone for nothing in return, but how do I feed my kids if I do that?

Look, it's turned out to be a valid and great business strategy for those who wish to provide software as a way of influencing the framework in which development takes place. This is Google's gambit with Android, for instance. But it's not the only business model, and I agree with those who say that the code for something as revolutionary as Surface might not be something you give up without getting something significant in return.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123