Thread: Full Screen ZOOM

Beans

Full Screen ZOOM

I was wondering dose Ubuntu 9.10 have a full screen zoom similar to MAC OSX or Windows 7. In windows 7 I can press the "Windows Key and the + Key" and the entire screen zooms.

i know that Ubuntu has a magnifier that zooms parts of the screen how about the whole screen?

Thanks,
    kris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Full Screen ZOOM

You can use a combination of compiz and ezoom. Which in theory should work out of the box after an install. Try you windows key and scroll away from you on the mouse. If you have 3D acceleration then it will zoom. If that does not work go system->prefs->appearance visual effects and the set them to normal. If this does not work try hardware drivers to see if you need them for your graphics card to get 3D and if that does not work come back ans it gets a bit more complex
    Open SAPI - MS Speech in Linux: http://code.google.com/p/open-sapi/

RockboxPlayer - Open Source MP3/4 Player: http://code.google.com/p/rockboxplayer/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I suggest first turning on Visual Effects.
    System>Preferences>Appearance Preferences
    Click on "Visual Effects" and select 'Normal'.

Then, click here to install a settings manager.

Open it up under System>Preferences>CompizConfig Settings Manager.

From that program, you can enable and tweak all kinds of neat accessibility features.
    When helping other users, I will always suggest a GUI solution first.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by notlistening View Post
    You can use a combination of compiz and ezoom. Which in theory should work out of the box after an install. Try you windows key and scroll away from you on the mouse. If you have 3D acceleration then it will zoom. If that does not work go system->prefs->appearance visual effects and the set them to normal. If this does not work try hardware drivers to see if you need them for your graphics card to get 3D and if that does not work come back ans it gets a bit more complex
    Thanks I'll give this a try and let you know soon I was wondering if this might work on the netbook version of ubuntu any ideas?

Thanks I'll give this a try and let you know soon I was wondering if this might work on the netbook version of ubuntu any ideas?
    It could, if the graphics card would support compiz and there is enough memory for it.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by notlistening View Post
    You can use a combination of compiz and ezoom.
    One more question: is it possible to reduce desktop resolution when zooming?

For example 1920x1200 screen. I go away from screen - now image is too small. I want to zoom it in.
    I hold Win key and rotate mouse wheel for some time - screen zooms to 200%. Almost ok, but now I see only quarter of desktop.
    Is it possible to set desktop size for all applications to 960x600 for 200% zoom (or 1280x800 for 150% zoom etc)?

Beans
    Distro

I'm guessing that the Zoom effect can only be attained with the extra graphical features enabled? The reason I ask, is that I use NetRadiant, and when Compiz is enabled, the view window, and the texture select window are completely unusable. Is there any way to fix that?
    Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I am betting that this is an ATi graphics issue. I'm trying this on my laptop, which has the following specs:

Graphics Card: nVidia 9800m GS 512MB RAM

There are other differences, but I don't think the OS would make much difference here. I could be wrong though.

Is it just me then, or does ATi seem to suck when it comes to Linux drivers? What is weirder, is that I think Apple has an exclusivity agreement with ATi, and there is a lot running in both OS X and Linux that are practically identical with video (both use OpenGL and X11 to my knowledge). So why would their drivers suck for Linux when they've already done most of the work in OS X?