Thread: Two Solid State Drive Questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Two Solid State Drive Questions

I'll soon be looking to replace my 2+ year-old Serval with a new Serval to be used for software development. I was thinking of getting an SSD, because I thought it would improve performance, and possibly run cooler and quieter than a traditional hard drive.

Friends have told me that there are two types of SSDs: those that are very fast at reading large files sequentially, and those that are very fast at reading smaller files (say, 4K or so) randomly. As a developer, I would expect that I would be mostly reading smaller files randomly, so the second type of drive seems more appropriate.

1) Are the SSDs on the Serval the type that are very fast at doing random reads of small files? Or are they mostly useful for reading very large files sequentially?

2) Are there any plans to release a Serval with a 256GB SSD? I've seen 256GB SSDs advertized elsewhere, but I don't believe they are Intel SSDs. (And I've heard that Intel SSDs are the best.)

Thanks very much.

Dom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Two Solid State Drive Questions

1) Are the SSDs on the Serval the type that are very fast at doing random reads of small files? Or are they mostly useful for reading very large files sequentially?
    This is a good article on that topic...
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/sto...-p128-ssd.html
    It includes benchmarks for the X25-M, which is what we sell.
    Note the links for 'Sequential Read and Write Patterns" and "Random Read and Write Patterns.'

2) Are there any plans to release a Serval with a 256GB SSD? I've seen 256GB SSDs advertized elsewhere, but I don't believe they are Intel SSDs. (And I've heard that Intel SSDs are the best.)
    Not that I'm aware of.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Tom,

Thanks very much for the info. Please pass along to R&D that there is customer interest in a larger high-performance SSD when it becomes available. Or perhaps a Serval with the option of two SSDs would be a great alternative. Thanks.

Dom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

No problem.

Will do.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Since getting a Pangolin with an SSD, I can compile and run our test suite in just over half the time of the most recent Mac Book Pro my coworker uses.

Clearly an apples to oranges comparison, but thought I'd mention it