Thread: Aspire One - Battery won't charge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Aspire One - Battery won't charge

I thought I'd post this as several threads have mentioned that the battery won't charge on their Acer Aspire One netbooks.

The advice given by Acer is to flash the bios to the latest version, however this may not work (it didn't for me). After a lot of googling I found this rather strange solution:

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-1...-power-problem

The point of it is, lightly tap around the fan area on the underside of the Netbook, I know it doesn't make sense, but try it!

Low and behold my battery started charging again!

It's certainly worth trying if you're having the problem.

Hope it helps someone!

EDIT:

I thought I would follow up on this trying to put all possible solutions in one place.

I also found this listed as a possible solution:

BIOS revision 3309 (and later) has a fix for battery charging particularly the 6-cell batteries, however if you have the latest BIOS and your battery still isn't charging a good solution is to power down the computer, remove the battery and unplug the AC power cable then push and hold the power button for a whole 2 minutes (nothing will happen, we're trying to completely drain all residual voltage from the mainboard to reset it), then release the power button, install the battery and power up the computer, it should now recognize the battery and begin a normal charge cycle.

I have read other posts that claim to hold the power button in for 1 minute which I tried and it did not work, you must hold it in for the whole 2 minutes.
    From here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ne-6-cell.html
    Last edited by davec64; February 17th, 2010 at 12:03 PM.
    Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!

Beans

Re: Aspire One - Battery won't charge

I registered for this site just to say THANK YOU for taking time to share this !!!! It worked!!

Beans

THANK YOU! This worked for my Acer Aspire M Ultrabook. I also registered just to be able to thank you for taking the time to share this tip.

Beans

Getting very frustrated. I have updated the bios, I have tapped on the bottom of the machine near the fan, I have tried to hold the power button for two minutes and nothing will make this new 6 cell to work properly. The old 3 cell that came with it works but is very old and only lasts for about 30 minutes. Any other ideas? Is it the machine or is it the battery that is to blame? Or do they just not like each other?

Beans

None of the above worked.
    Im getting bloody annoyed at this. Since I put Ubuntu on this netbook ive had this problem.. thanks ubuntu