Thread: [ ubuntu ] wireless network disappears and never return

Beans

[ ubuntu ] wireless network disappears and never return

greetings everybody. i am a new ubuntu user. the wireless connection works very well when i start using. but once, after my sister took hold of my computer for a moment. the wireless don't seem to work anymore. i asked her what she did but she says nothing. she may ot may not be lying but that doesn't matters. what matters is i cant reinstall back the wireless network.

when i first formatted my notebook to ubuntu 8.0, i followed an online instruction to enable wifi to work. it works perfectly well. so when the problems occured, i tried using the same instruction but it doesn't work anymore.

the wireless network does not appears under connection anymore. anyone can help?

thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: [ ubuntu ] wireless network disappears and never return

...hi, would assume that you are now in 9.10, and wireless networking have some current issues in that version,...tho have read some threads bout this, would search on it once again, post the loc later for you.

Beans
    Distro

...maybe u've read this thread already, all i got at the moment:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1364883

Beans

hi, thanks for replying. i gone through the link the posted. i am still using the 8.1 ubunto. the following is an instruction i follow :
    WLan

ath5k Method

Wireless does not work out of the box but can be brought to life easily. The most simple way is to install ath5k, the new open source driver for Atheros chipsets. It got removed from the stock Intrepid kernel because it was not stable on some systems. I do not have any problems so my recommendation for the Aspire One is to use this driver. To activate ath5k, deactivate the proprietary driver "Atheros wireless card" (System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers) that Ubuntu tries to use and install the package "linux-backports-modules-intrepid"
    sudo aptitude install linux-backports-modules-intrepidWireless will work after a reboot.
    after typing that into terminals the following appears :

Dpkg was interrupted. You must manually run ‘dpkg –configure –a’ to correct the problem.
    can anyone tell me what does this mean?
    thanks lots

Beans
    Distro

...it's ok to run sudo dpkg --configure -a (double dash before configure), the command is use to realigh the package source.