Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brasero ISO burning: Kills a DVD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Brasero ISO burning: Kills a DVD

SAME PROBLEM HERE. SAME ERROR . I tried with minimum speed with my dvd drive on a cd. Almost 4 out of 5 mb was written . then i got this error.

Beans

I have the same problem. Burned DVD with Brasero or K3b cannot be played and they are full of errors.
    I m sure that it is not media dependant.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by shurenste View Post
    I have the same problem. Burned DVD with Brasero or K3b cannot be played and they are full of errors.
    I m sure that it is not media dependant.
    Does this happen with every disk you burn or is it a particular iso?

If it is a particular iso, is it a Ubuntu iso or something else?
    Remember to mark your thread as SOLVED.
    Don't like the default Ubuntu themes? Try these.

Beans

Re: burner error
    I also have this problem. I'm quite new to Ubuntu (4 months since it's been my primary system at home). I'm mostly happy, usually it only takes me a few hours to knock off any setup issue. I have been troubleshooting this issue for some time now though with no luck. I can't burn a dvd of assorted video files nor a cd of mp3s or CD tracks. Here's my system:

OS: Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 (I'm using this version becuase it's the only one that seems to work with my network card upon installation, and I'm not fussed about flashy desktops)
    Notebook: HP NX7010
    DVD Burner: TEAC DV-W24EW C.0D
    Brasero Version is 2.26.1
    Kernel: 2.6.28.19 generic

Tried the following: (for many different reasons, mostly because ppl on the forums reported success doing something or other)

sudo apt-get update
    Installing k3b (also didn't work or I'd be using that)
    added ubuntu restricted extras (which had to remove libavcodec52 and libavutil49)

Didn't try:
    disabling udev: many other posts advise against this
    sudo apt-get upgrade (I was worried that this would upgrade ubuntu 9.04 to 10.04 and break something)
    Don't know how to upgrade the kernel without risking some other major issue

I'm really stumped, even though I can find other issues online that appear to look like mine. In this case I'm hoping someone somewhere will be able to give me some definitive advice (apart from go back to Windows!

Should also mention that it happens with CDs and DVDs with any type of recording (data dvd or data cd or music cd)
    Last edited by jaksun5; June 21st, 2010 at 08:17 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

wodim is definitely the culprit here as from what I read at Arch, Ubuntu, Fedora forums but here is the strange part. Ripping an ISO is no issue with my SONY Opticarc but it fails with my LG DVD so I also suspect its a drive specific issue and most likely command and firmware related as well.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans

OK I've now also tested with an external lite-on burner and it works like a charm, so yes it's definitely drive specific. Surely there should be either a driver or firmware update that fixes this? The drive was used in HPNX7010 and also Fujitsu Lifebook S7025 and Toshiba Satellite A60. Surely all these people can't be doing without?
    Last edited by jaksun5; February 10th, 2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Beans

Nope, actually it is making the same error independent of machine. I have tested on HP, DELL, Lenovo, (older) IBM laptops, beside this on DELL and IBM desktops.
    I have burned 30 disks in total, containing random data (selecting few images, music, etc.), the result is 30 broken disks. Something it is written on the disk through, I can copy the content with dd, just the format is unrecognized.
    The first lines of the dump contains the file names burned.
    Really strange...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm trying to burn a CD from the iso for Ubuntu 10.04.4.

I've tried cdrecord -fix -dev=/dev/dvdrw, cdrecord -fix -dev=/dev/cdrw & cdrecord -fix -dev=/dev/cdrom. They all give 'Error trying to open /dev/cdrom exclusively (Device or resource busy)... retrying in 1 second.' (or similar) repeatedly. Any ideas?

PS I looked on Launchpad bugs & there's a 2010 bug about brasero & wodim: if I understand it correctly, the problem is with wodim.
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12