Thread: Wireless card not supported?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Wireless card not supported?

I just recently installed Ubuntu on my wife's computer, and per her request I removed windows. She is now stuck without internet. She has a Dell studio with a BCM4312 and it appears Ubuntu doesn't even recognize it. I'm afraid wireless is the only way to connect to the internet on that laptop so I can't even get the new updates that I just got on my laptop.
    Is there any way to resolve this? Please help me keep from getting scolded.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wireless card not supported?

It is well supported. Can you temporarily connect the wired ethernet? Please see: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...e_installation
    Ubuntu/Debian

In recent versions of Ubuntu and Debian, installing the b43-fwcutter package will handle everything for you:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
    You will be asked to automatically fetch and install the firmware into the right location.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro

I cannot connect to a wired ethernet. I have tried the 43cutter and it says:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package b43-fwcutter

I understand I need the internet for this but I tried anyway- what the heck, right?
    I do have an Ethernet hook up but when I connect it nothing happens and I'm not sure how to set it up. Mine automatically connects when I use my computer.

Beans
    Distro

Alright I now have it connected to the Internet via Ethernet but when I do the sudo apt-get install b34-fwcutter it still says it can't find it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cybernetic toaster pastry View Post
    Alright I now have it connected to the Internet via Ethernet but when I do the sudo apt-get install b34-fwcutter it still says it can't find it
    That is b43

Beans
    Distro

I'm not following I still can't connect via wireless. It wont even pick up other routers in the area. Nothing but wired connections

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cybernetic toaster pastry View Post
    Please open System -> Admin -> Synaptic and select Settings -> Repositories and make sure the repositories are enabled as per attached. Press Reload and then search for 'b43.' Install and follow the prompts.

Select the correct download server if you are not in the USA.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro

I really appreciate the help and now it has b43. I went into the hardware drivers and saw the b43 driver and another that said it was for linux systems with b4311-b4312-b4313. I assume this is suppose to be the active driver and if it is I have a whole new problem because when I try to activate it a box pops up stating "downloading and installing drivers". I have walked off and came back 30-45 minutes later and nothing has changed. Just sitting there with an empty bar. It also will not let me cancel it. Crap this sucks.