Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vista takes up too much space

Beans

Unhappy vista takes up too much space

So I have a dual boot system using ubuntu, 7, and vista. I want to get rid of vista. I already tried to use my recovery discs but they never give me an option as per what to partition and what not to, and it comes with vista and seven. I really need the space and can't currently afford a portable hard drive. any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: vista takes up too much space

Can't you just format the vista drive?
    Jordan Open Source Association | E-mail
    Macbook (late 2008) - 2.4Ghz Core2Duo - 4GB RAM - nVidia 9400 - 250GB HDD

Beans
    Hidden!

if you do that, and vista was installed first you might have to reinstall grub. i remember having to do it with a vista/xp/linux boot

Beans
    Hidden!

A fresh install of Vista or an older install of Vista? If you're never going to use it, disable System Restore, on an older system this can give you back a bit of space.

Beans
    Distro

I once did install vista 1st then Ubuntu, then simply formatted vista's drive and nothing went wrong..

Beans
    Hidden!

note how i said "might"^^

Beans
    Distro

I did notice it, I just wanted to clarify any misunderstanding. No hard feelings

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Your title says wubi. Do you have wubi inside Vista? If you delete Vista it will delete wubi.

A system restore from the PC vendor typically just totally reformats your entire hard drive and makes it just as you purchased it. Restores to like new but loses all you changes.

If you have installed two windows you have a combined boot and will have to repair the windows remaining.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ng+MS+products
    louieb's suggestion:
    Just a note about dual booting 2 MS products. When you install the 2nd one - the installer will put its boot loader in the partition with the boot flag on (usually the partition holding the 1st MS product). And the 2nd product can only be booted thru the boot loader in the 1st product.

To get each MS to have its own boot loader make a partition and set its boot flag on, then install the 2nd product in it. Multibooters, Pictures here worth 1000+ words
    http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Sorry about the title. I guess I had a misunderstanding as to what wubi meant. I cannot simply format a harddrive because it's on a laptop and they're both on the same hard drive. Also I use seven from time to time. Mostly just when I'm having a problem with ubuntu or to play video games. Also, is there anyway to change the prefix to avoid further confusion???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Also, if you installed Win7 after Vista (and it sounds like you did), Win7 almost certainly wrote its boot loader files to the Vista partition. IF you blindly follow the advice of others here and wipe Vista, you will wipe out the Win7 boot loader files -- and will not be able to boot into Win7.

Before you do anything else, if your machine has a CD burner, get a blank CD and use the Win7 backup feature to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. You will need that to restore boot capability if you remove Vista.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast