Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time user but can't install.

Beans

First time user but can't install.

I am trying to install Ubuntu onto a computer that I have just assembled. I want to dual boot and have installed windows. I purchased my Ubuntu CD which is verson 8.004. It will not install however and I get a black screen that ends with 'initramfs'. When I try to install text only it firstly does not recognise the network adapter, and secondly it won't recognise the hard drive. From this point I can't proceed.

Luckily the Asus Motherboard came with this Express Gate linux application

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: First time user but can't install.

Did LiveCD work?
    Jordan Open Source Association | E-mail
    Macbook (late 2008) - 2.4Ghz Core2Duo - 4GB RAM - nVidia 9400 - 250GB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cool Re: First time user but can't install.

Quote Originally Posted by saif_held View Post
    Did LiveCD work?
    Be sure to set the computer to boot first from optical drive. This can be set in the BIOS.
    advocating Free and Open Source Software, supporting the Open Web
    fight for your right to party and get your free cloud storage now

Beans

Yes the Live CD works. I will post the full text on anther post. Right now I just want to test this as I have had trouble trying to post.

Beans

I get further in 'text only' install, but it will not detect the hard drive (WD6400AALS) and therefore will not proceed past the partitioning.

Full text I get for normal install is:
    udevd-event[1687]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe'abnormal exit.
    Busybox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.
    (initramfs)

Specs on my machine are:
    i5-750, asus p7p55d e pro, 2x2Gb super talent ram, corsair HX650, XFX gtx260, and hard drives as above. OS already installed is XP Home Edition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by urepedese View Post
    I purchased my Ubuntu CD which is verson 8.004.
    I'm sure you mean 8.04.
    Since the ubuntu version you are trying to install is much older than the hardware you are trying to install on chances are that some of the hardware in your motherboard is not supported by the kernel in 8.04 (8.04 was released in april '08, but your cpu didn't exist until September '09 and according to asus' home page the first bios for your motherboard was released in November '09).

Try to get your hands on the current ubuntu release instead (9.10, released in October '09). It is much more likely to support your machine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    I'm sure you mean 8.04.
    Since the ubuntu version you are trying to install is much older than the hardware you are trying to install on chances are that some of the hardware in your motherboard is not supported by the kernel in 8.04 (8.04 was released in april '08, but your cpu didn't exist until September '09 and according to asus' home page the first bios for your motherboard was released in November '09).

Try to get your hands on the current ubuntu release instead (9.10, released in October '09). It is much more likely to support your machine.
    Mate thanks for that. I did suspect that this was the case. I didn' realise 8.04 was so old! I actually have a 9.04 iso image already downloaded so hopefully I will be okay. I have heard that Mint Gloria is also a worthwhile alternative to Ubuntu, would you recommend that and is that more likely to support my MOBO?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Mate thanks for that. I did suspect that this was the case. I didn' realise 8.04 was so old! I actually have a 9.04 iso image already downloaded so hopefully I will be okay. I have heard that Mint Gloria is also a worthwhile alternative to Ubuntu, would you recommend that and is that more likely to support my MOBO?
    The current Mint release is 8 (Helena) which is basically the same as Ubuntu 9.10

I am sure that Gloria is the same as Ubuntu 9.04 - what I mean is that the kernel is the same and the device support should be identical
    If variety is the spice of life, monotony must therefore be the kiss of death.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Mint Helena ( 8 ) is better, and whether to go with Mint or Ubuntu is really up to personal preference. Personally, I use Mint 8 now but I'm going back to Ubuntu as soon as Lucid Lynx comes out, Mint is a bit too bloated for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Both are good, the benefit of Mint is that you will have most media codecs and some other stuff ready installed But a few lines of code will do the job if you have Jaunty 9.04 handy
    See here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683
    "You should know by now, don't drink and sudo" Starcraft.man

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast