Thread: Sending and receiving SMS with Ubuntu 9.10

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sending and receiving SMS with Ubuntu 9.10

I have the UMTS Stick Huawei E160 with a prepaid SIM card from tchibo/O2 in Germany. The prepaid SIM allows daily flat-rates at a reasonable price however I need to send and receive a SMS (short message service) in order to book the daily flat-rate.

I have tried the following programs already:

1. umtsmon (in different vrsions incuding the O2 version). Unfortunately I was not able to send or receive SMS with umtsmon

2. Wammu (intalled trough the repositories); I can read the SMS from the SIM card however I get an error message when sending a SMS and the program fails.

I guess there must be other Ubuntu users that use their UMTS stick to send an receive SMS. What is your solution and ho o you do it? I am even open for any solution. So far I have to use a Windows machine or but the SIM in my mobile phone in order to book the daily flat-rate. I am sure there are better solutions.

Thank you for your help

Sven

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Sending and receiving SMS with Ubuntu 9.10

you can do sms through gmail and google voice.

Beans

The wader project has support for SMS, but I've never tested it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by iponeverything View Post
    you can do sms through gmail and google voice.
    Not in Germany... In Germany SMS are a valuable good. The telcos charge you usually ~20 euro cent (about 0.27 u.s. cent) for one sms It's not possible to send SMS via Gmail in Germany.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, it's not only the fact that SMS do cost money in Germany. I need to send an SMS from the SIM number in order to book the daily flatrate. So even though it would be possible to use gmail I do not have Internet (and therefore gmail) if I do not send an SMS before.

I tried 'Wader GTK 0.3.6.4' and it looks very well apart from sending and receiving SMS. And that is actually what I am really looking for.

Thank you for your help however I still need to wait for further feedback. I am surprised how difficult it is receiving and sending SMS through a UMTS stick. I alwys thought it should be rather simple.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have the same modem for my 3G internet here in Kuwait. I was able to send and receive SMS with it using Gammu. The only problem I had was that I could not send/receive SMS while I was connected to the internet.

Check out this site, it might help you out. http://cakesms.blogspot.com/

I got all my information by googling "Ubuntu SMS Gateway".