Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will I ever be able to smoothly play x264 720p on Ubuntu?

Beans

Will I ever be able to smoothly play x264 720p on Ubuntu?

I have an Acer 3100 with 1.8Ghz single core, and ATI 1100/1200 mobile (no driver support- only open as I understand). I have installed what seems all the players, codecs, etc. My best result have been with VLC but results are choppy and CPU is at 100%.

Has anyone with these specs been able to play x264/mkv 720p or should I just give up and stick to 480p mpg LD on this old machine?

I just got into Ubuntu and I'm loving it. Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Will I ever be able to smoothly play x264 720p on Ubuntu?

My laptop specs are around the same I can play doom3 (on the lowest setting) but also cannot play 720p these computers cant handle that.

EDIT:Just checked it tuns out I have matrix 1080p
    USE="gentoo" && emerge -avuDN world
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    知さん。

Beans

You just tested the system with 1080p?
    I know it has a lot to do with the under powered CPU but I wonder what the results would be if I had non-generic drivers for the GPU. Can the windows drivers be used somehow?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have been able to play .mkv (720p)flawlessly with VLC on my ASUS netbook (Intel Atom n270 1.6GZ; 1GB RAM.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Lightbulb Re: Will I ever be able to smoothly play x264 720p on Ubuntu?

There is a ppa version of mplayer that works best for me. Probably the easiest way for you to get is using ubuntu-tweak. Click here to download if you're on karmic (9.10). Double-click on the file to install with gdebi. Go here if not on karmic or for alternate install options.

Once installed open at "Applications>System Tools>Ubuntu Tweak". Go to "Applications>Third-Party-Sources" and place a checkmark next to Mplayer. Click "Refresh". Go to the "Add/Remove" section and select "Mplayer Movie Player" then click "apply".

If you right-click on the movie file in nautilus and select "properties" you can choose mplayer as default for those file types on "open with" tab.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

HI

The main problem is Adobe flash player. Adobe does not support hardware acceleration on Linux. There minimum hardware configurations is to much for low power systems.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/systemreqs/

Most just download the flash file and play it in there favorite player.

Sharky

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

As to online HD videos, one can always choose earlier version of Adobe Flash Player that is less resourse-consuming...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by clhsharky View Post
    HI

The main problem is Adobe flash player. Adobe does not support hardware acceleration on Linux. There minimum hardware configurations is to much for low power systems.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/systemreqs/

Most just download the flash file and play it in there favorite player.

Sharky
    +1

I have a Core2 Duo 2.9Ghz and can play 1080p fine, but locally, not on YouTube. See discussion here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I think the OP was referring to mkv video, not flv.

Beans

Many thanks for responses.

First, I am looking to stream MKV movies and shows from my media center and play 720 MOV files from my pocket cam. Regardless of whether the file is on the LAN server or local machine the file is choppy.

The tweaks app is cool, thanks for that tip, but I already have mPlayer installed. I have used VLC, Mplayer, Movie Player, gnome Mplayer, installed ffshow, and all other plug-ins/codecs I could find. I have noticed the video output options and ive been playing with those and have not seen any differences. I do know how much the codec can make from my media center experiences with HD content.

So there is someone out there with a netbook running 720p mkv. But I think the difference here is that you probably have a supported GPU, while I have a GPU (ATI xpress 1100/1200) that is not supported (I think) and I am using the open driver.

Thanks guys! I'll be so stoked if I can get this going.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast