Thread: Connect printer to wireless network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Connect printer to wireless network

Hi,

We've just moved house, as a result the cable modem/router are down stairs. Our study is upstairs.

We've a brother network laser printer which we want to connect to the network without having to run cables round the house - printer being in the study

I need therefore a mechanism of connecting this printer (which has a rj-45+usb port) to our wireless network. The catch being I need it to support WPA2 and Wintel/Linux clients.

In the past I just had the printer connected to our WRT54GL via a network cable...

Any ideas please? I've been looking on google, but wireless extenders don't tend to support WPA2 + have a RJ-45 (or usb port) for a printer...

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Connect printer to wireless network

have you considered a wireless print hub that can connect to your wireless network?

Because usually you need a print server, or a print switch.hub to make it work, other than plugging it directly into the router.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

My current printer (Brother 2150N) has a built in network card, so had no problems just using wintel/linux clients to print to it with a 'port' specified on the installed driver for the relevant IP address....

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

yeleek

how you getting on with this ??

I also have the 2150N and while its working fine thru the router for windows i cant set it up for Ubuntu

Ubuntu has loads of Brother drivers but not one for this printer even if it does see it first time

Having only been an Ubuntu user for 2 days im so far struggling LOL