Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ethernet wired but no connection

Beans

Ethernet wired but no connection

Hi there,

I've been trying desperately to network my Acer Revo 3600 with ubuntu Karmic Koala to network my my mac.

Wireless works absolutely fine, i've set up smb & afp shares and both work. But I need the wired connection to work as transferring large files, or streaming HD content over wireless is incredibly slow.

I've bought some Cat 6 cable and right now my mac is wired directly into the ethernet port on the Revo but the two are not talking to each other, as soon as I switch off wireless on my mac I loose the connection with the Revo even though the two are directly connected?

Is there anything I need to configure in Ubuntu to get the connection to work?

Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ethernet wired but no connection

Quote Originally Posted by JUICE690 View Post
    I've bought some Cat 6 cable and right now my mac is wired directly into the ethernet port on the Revo but the two are not talking to each other...
    First - are you using a crossover cable? Some 1000M cards can auto-configure, but most others don't. This How-To is about FTP via ZeroConf (avahi). Otherwise, you'll need to set up a simple network between the two machines - probably static addresses.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    First - are you using a crossover cable? Some 1000M cards can auto-configure, but most others don't. This How-To is about FTP via ZeroConf (avahi). Otherwise, you'll need to set up a simple network between the two machines - probably static addresses.
    It doesn't state it's crossover on the box, it reads 'Cat 6 Patch Cable for networking' so I'm not sure if it is or not.

I think my imac can auto-configure, not sure about the revo.

Thanks for the link I'll have a read through that now, will FTP be fast enough to stream HD though?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I haven't used FTP often - streaming even less - HD (what's that? )
    The link was more for the Zeroconf information.
    If you hold the two cable ends beside each other, a straight patch cable will have the came wire color sequence - a crossover will not. Here is a picture.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Years ago I did the cross over cable, but then a found a cheap hub and did not have to worry about cables. Now even switches are relatively cheap $20, but it may pay to buy a wireless router.
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...598900104291#p
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I was using non cross over cable! (and yes I do feel a little stupid) 6+ hours I was trying to network the two computers!

Thanks for you help

Beans

Well today I went out and bout a Netgear 5 port gigabit switch http://www.netgear.com/Products/Switches/DesktopSwitches/GS605.aspx thinking this would solve my problems. I bought another cat6 cable, plugged my mac into one of the ports and the Revo into the other, two port lights on the netgear port lit up to show there was a connection) but I still can't connect the two computers...

As soon as I switch off wireless on either the Revo or the mac I loose connection between them, even though there are now both wired into the gigabit switch.

I'm at a loss on what to do, I know Macs fairly well but i'm very much a noob when it comes to ubuntu.

Any ideas on what I may need to do? Indecently I'm not plugging a modem/router into the ethernet switch, I'm purely using this to network my two computers, at least until I get over this first hurdle.
    Last edited by JUICE690; February 15th, 2010 at 10:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Now it becomes more of a network setup problem. I can't help much with the Mac - but on the Ubuntu, check ifconfig -a if eth0 shows no address, we'll need to give it one - preferably in the same subnet as the Mac (what address is it's ethernet card using?).

Beans

ifconfig -a got these results on ubuntu

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr
    inet6 addr: fe80::222:68ff:fe66:6f6c/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:342 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:71769 (71.7 KB)
    Interrupt:23 Base address:0x8000

My macs ethernet address is

Updated (thanks oldfred!)
    Last edited by JUICE690; February 16th, 2010 at 02:56 AM. Reason: being daft

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Those are hardware addresses. I would not post as someone can spoof a hw address and look like you. I had trouble switching computers before I had a router and comcast took 20 minutes to recognize the new computer, so I spoofed my mac address and everything worked immediately.

You can assign address from ifconfig but I find it easier now to use system, preference, network connections (in 9.10 maybe something else in other versions). You need to assign one address to you Mac and another to your Ubuntu.

Attached is a screen shot of my fixed IP on my desktop. It is for connecting to my router so I am not sure all the settings are required. The last two digits should be different for your other computer.
    i.e. 192.68.1.20 & 192.68.1.21
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast