Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to build a gaming computer for under $500?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Is it possible to build a gaming computer for under $500?

I really want a gaming computer, but it seems they are quite expensive.
    Is it possible to build one for $500 or less? Maybe $600.
    Or can I just buy a $400 desktop and put in a $100 graphics card?
    Help needed.. Thanks. (:
    Toshiba Satellite Notebook L305D - 3GB DDR2 RAM - 320GB HD - DUAL BOOT: Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Is it possible to build a gaming computer for under $500?

That highly depends on what kind of gaming you are going to be doing. Technically, the only requirements of a game these days are a multicore processor with lotsa ram and hdd. To QUALIFY as a gaming machine however, a dedicated graphics card must be installed with 512 DDR3... Depending on what game you are playing YMMV.

Beans

get something like this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBu...t=Combo.328160

then grab a case somewhere cheap
    "Linux allows for one thing above all else - 'A user can truly be themselves!'" - Myself 02/21/2009

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It just depends on what you expect out of it.

A wicked fast system that will play all the latest games if everything turned to the max, triple cross-fire video cards, 12gig of DDR3....

...not a chance.

If you want a decent box that will play newER games at good playable settings, then absolutely.

The first thing o do is figure out what you have that can reuse.

Is your hard drive big enough?

Is your case a standard ATX case or some non-standard piece of junk from dell?

Is your power supply big enough, and does it have the connections you need?

Optical drives, peripherals, you monitor?

There's a good chance that you can keep all of those things, and upgrade your computer to a passable gaming rig with nothing more than a new motherboard, CPU, ram and a new video card.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gymophett View Post
    I really want a gaming computer, but it seems they are quite expensive.
    Is it possible to build one for $500 or less? Maybe $600.
    Or can I just buy a $400 desktop and put in a $100 graphics card?
    Help needed.. Thanks. (:
    Depends. I put together a decent system with 4GB RAM, a 500GB HDD, a 1GB Geforce 9, and a 2.2Ghz dual-core for around $400. But if you want cutting-edge, get yourself an i7 system with two Radeon 5870s in Crossfire, and 6GB of DDR 3. Might run you around the thousands, though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have no need for any 12 GB of ram. I expect to put around 4 gigs of ram, multi core processor, around 2.4 to 3.0 GHz. At least a 500GB HD. And a 1GB graphics card. I've found those on newegg for around $100, which is doable.

Also, I had no idea they had bundles like that. Thanks for pointing me to that.

EDIT: I am willing to go over $500, but not much over $600. Just somewhere in that range. I built a computer about 8 years ago, which had pretty good specs for that time being, for around $800, and it has lasted until now, and probably still for years to come, with Linux at least. 1.5 GB ram, ATI 9200, anyway, offtopic.
    Last edited by gymophett; February 14th, 2010 at 08:24 AM.
    Toshiba Satellite Notebook L305D - 3GB DDR2 RAM - 320GB HD - DUAL BOOT: Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Go to newegg, piece together a system, and find out. I built mine for around ~$650 USD. But I stole the harddrives + case + DVDRW from my old system, which is running in a cardboard box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimientito
    NEVER EVER give a gypsy player an unprotected guitar to play. It will end in tears!

Beans

I'm sure you can. I'll see what I can whip up on newegg. The two big X factors is what type of gaming do you want to do and are you willing to sacrifice not running at max settings.

Buy a console, games made for some console will always be playable, no need to get into the endless upgrading.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My current system does fine with games, and it cost me less than $500. The base system was an off-the-shelf Compaq, with an Athlon Dual-Core 7550 and 3 GB of RAM. This cost $320 at the time. I added an nVidia 8800 GTS with 640 MB of VRAM, which is $80 on Newegg currently.

I've played a pretty wide variety of recent games (Left 4 Dead 2, Fallout 3, GTA IV, Team Fortress 2) and haven't had any problems. I play games at native resolution, with pretty high graphics settings.

Yeah, it could be better, but you can definitely get an adequate gaming setup for less than $500.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast