View Poll Results: What will you do when Canonical swaps Google for Yahoo?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Change the default back to Google.

37 50.68%
  • Remove the distro version of Firefox and download directly from Mozilla

8 10.96%
  • Switch to a new distro.

8 10.96%
  • Do nothing and accept the changes.

10 13.70%
  • Who cares??

29 39.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Search

Beans

Yahoo Search

It must be pretty common knowledge by now that Canonical are making Yahoo the default search engine for Ubuntu Firefox users. The question is, do any of us actually want this?

I can understand Canonical needs to make money. Without money businesses fail. However I am perfectly with Google for my daily search needs. So how will this change impact on the Ubuntu user community? Will simply accept this change? Change it back to Google? Go looking for a new distro? What will you do?

According to Boycott Novell, the default home page will also redirect search queries to Microsofts' Bing search engine. But still display the Yahoo logo.

Personally I'll be changing the default search engine back to Google. I'll also change the default home page to Googles home page or a custom built page of my own. If Ubuntu updates mess with these settings I'll remove the repository version of Firefox and give serious thought to finding a new distro.
    Disclaimer: I reserve the right to be entirely wrong and historically inaccurate.

Beans

Re: Yahoo Search

Quote Originally Posted by aikiwolfie View Post
    According to Boycott Novell, the default home page will also redirect search queries to Microsofts' Bing search engine. But still display the Yahoo logo.

I just dont even know what to say to this.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

according to boycott novell, the default home page will also redirect search queries to microsofts' bing search engine. But still display the yahoo logo.
    lol
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Well I guess there's no huge damage done by switching to Yahoo. I'm sure they made such a decision based on something that we don't fully understand yet.
    Jordan Open Source Association | E-mail
    Macbook (late 2008) - 2.4Ghz Core2Duo - 4GB RAM - nVidia 9400 - 250GB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The backlash from this decision is such hypocrisy, considering how some FOSS activisits try so hard to accuse the "other side" of spreading FUD.

If you like Google that much, there's always Chrome.
    When you politicize free software, it is no longer "free."

Poor Google.
    Aspire One D257, 2GB DDR3-1333

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, businesses need to make money, and if the most un-intrusive way is to change the default search engine, more power to them. If you don't like the new search engine, changing it is very easy. However, switching to the upstream version of the browser is an extreme response, and changing distros is even more extreme.

Personally, if I still used Ubuntu, I would just change the default to Google, though it's likely I'd just use Chrome instead (and not because of the search engine change.)

And by the way, Boycott Novell isn't the most reliable source of information... in several posts they actually use themselves as citations.

Beans

It must be pretty common knowledge by now that Canonical are making Yahoo the default search engine for Ubuntu Firefox users. The question is, do any of us actually want this?

I can understand Canonical needs to make money. Without money businesses fail. However I am perfectly with Google for my daily search needs. So how will this change impact on the Ubuntu user community? Will simply accept this change? Change it back to Google? Go looking for a new distro? What will you do?

Personally I'll be changing the default search engine back to Google. I'll also change the default home page to Googles home page or a custom built page of my own. If Ubuntu updates mess with these settings I'll remove the repository version of Firefox and give serious thought to finding a new distro.
    Good grief , its just the search engine , click click click its changed, and Canonical still gets paid and you can still have your Ubuntu OS. Someone has to pay the Ferryman at some stage. There is no money tree in the Canonical yard.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Is Yahoo any good? I would please like honest data/opinions not just something like "Google is better".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[x] Leave Firefox unused.

I don't care the changes.
    Sorry for my bad English
    Before buy Check your hardware is compatible on Ubuntu Hardware Compatibility List.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast