Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'spilling the beans' on Karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: 'spilling the beans' on Karmic

Quote Originally Posted by jenaniston View Post
    The questioning, reprimand, and distortion of another thread that we shouldn't critique and discuss problems with grub2 or Karmic . . .
    only because other readers would be discouraged from trying the Ubuntu 9.10 variants -
    If by "critique and discuss problems", you really mean compose insults and make personal attacks (even vague ones), then *that* behavior is what is discouraging, and mods are to be applauded for ending that behavior.
    Help yourself: Ubuntu Docs - Ubuntu Packages

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I don't think it is good or bad... on the contrary.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Woolio1 View Post
    Welcome back, Sheriff? I do hope we finally remove all these "type 'sudo rm -rf /' in the terminal" people...
    I do hope there are no new, uninitiated users typing that command in as we speak, just to see why it is those particular people should be removed.
    http://ubuntuclips.org/videos/4

For the lazy readers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Most of the membership is pretty good about reporting malicious commands. Unfortunately there are still a few people that don't seem to get it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The nature of the internet encourages bad-mouthing. Since people can neither see nor hear the people they communicate with, restraint is removed in people with weak personalities. They type things in e-mail and internet fora that they would never dream of saying in a face-to-face conversation, because there is no fear of reprisal. Unfortunately nothing can be done to change the behaviour of such people. The only options civil people have are banning abusers from participation and ignoring them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by gsmanners View Post
    If by "critique and discuss problems", you really mean compose insults and make personal attacks (even vague ones), then *that* behavior is what is discouraging, and mods are to be applauded for ending that behavior.

No I really mean no one here should be discouraged from bringing up the honest problems - and the critique and discussion of those honest problems -
    only because other readers may be discouraged from even trying Ubuntu just in bringing those problems to the attention of others when seeking a solution.

Shoveling the dirt under the carpet as a strategy to make something appear better -
    - in the long run that won't work out -
    the honest problem will still be there even if less of the linux community or
    potential linux users don't really know or are never aware it happens or happened.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As with good science, it is always valuable to open up work to honest and clear critique. When that critique is given in a non-insulting or threating manner, it is more readily heard. The need is for clear communication without offending language. That isn't always easy, but it is truly possible.

Honest and direct criticism stated politely is always welcome.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You are absolutely correct regarding discouraging discussion of problems. New users will be unhappy if they encounter problems. They will be aware of the problems and can try to avoid them. They can also get help from other users suggesting ways around the problems. It has helped me greatly, because I am almost computer illiterate. The airing and discussing operating quirks has been indespensable for me.
    Potential users will also be more likely to use the system if they know what problems the system does and does not have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12