Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to avoid phishing using Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

How to avoid phishing using Ubuntu?

Hello, i have just installed Ubuntu,i'am really concerned about security,i have no idea about linux.
    In windows, i use kaspersky internet security to protect the computer, so any time i want to log on my bank web, i use virtual mode or secure mode,and also virtual keyboard offered by kaspersky,i ve never had a problem,this way i think i protect myself against fishing.
    Is there anyway to protect myself from the fishing attack in Ubuntu?
    Thanks a lot.

Beans

Re: How to avoid fishing using Ubuntu?

No worries, Ubuntu is a safe and secure operating system:
    http://sites.google.com/site/easylin...oject/security

You can bank safely in Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi,

Try searching ¨phishing¨ not ¨fishing¨.

Linux/´buntu affords little or no protection against phishing (i.e. the same level as Windows versions).

OpenDNS is available and Firefox 3.5 or later (and Explorer 8) have protection settings but common sense is frequently the best protection against scams.

My regards

PS Phishing frauds ruin thousands of lives and they are on the increase - so ¨be careful out there¨.

Beans
    Hidden!

Fishing is angling and catching fish!

Phishing is sending emails with links to scam and spoof bank or financial websites. They may look right, but it is up to the recipient to display some sense and not click on such links. No security software is really able to stop silly people doing silly things, but don't worry, Ubuntu is about as safe as you can get, other than never using a computer for banking.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi ajgreeny,

I always read any post carrying your name with interest; however, I think (possibly wrongly) that phishing includes the transfer from visited websites to malicious websites as well as the common email scams which you mention.

What you say is not necessarily incorrect, but I do not like the advice ¨not to worry¨ after the extensive phishing fraud reports (not email based) as reported last October in the English broadsheets (and also the foreign press).

My regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am sorry, i ask a moderator to change the title from fishing to phishing.
    According to you, i have to be very careful as well in Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ismaelito View Post
    I am sorry, i ask a moderator to change the title from fishing to phishing.
    According to you, i have to be very careful as well in Ubuntu.
    Don't confuse these two things:

1. In Linux, you are safe from malware, like viruses, spyware and key loggers, provided that you stick to normal software sources and apply your updates.

2. You are not safer in Linux, from people who try to fool you with fake e-mails, like Nigerians who promise you millions if you only pay them a few thousands first. That's called social engineering and has nothing to do with software. The only protection is common sense. Against fake banking websites and such (phishers) you have some protection in Firefox. But again, use your common sense. 100 % security doesn't exist anywhere.
    Last edited by Pjotr123; February 13th, 2010 at 12:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Pjotr123 View Post
    Don't confuse these two things:

1. In Linux, you are safe from malware, like viruses, spyware and key loggers, provided that you stick to normal software sources and apply your updates.

2. You are not safer in Linux, from people who try to fool you with fake e-mails, like Nigerians who promise you millions if you only pay them a few thousands first. That's called social engineering and has nothing to do with software. The only protection is common sense. Against fake banking websites and such (phishers) you have some protection in Firefox. But again, use your common sense. 100 % security doesn't exist anywhere.
    As said above, yeah, you're fairly safe from viruses and the likes, but not from false websites.

Alot of Windows anti-virus software also adds safe browsing things - like Norton and McAfee with their site ratings etc. In Firefox, if you click tools > addons > get adds > browse all add ons (you'll be taken to a new webpage). I use an add on called Link Extend. You'll find it by running a search in Firefox's add on page. It creates a tool bar that rates the safety of the site based on Norton, google and other companies.

This will offer you some more protection and help you maked informed decisions as to whether or not to trust a specific site.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to avoid phishing using Ubuntu?

The best read I have ever seen for ubuntu security: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by crlang13 View Post
    As said above, yeah, you're fairly safe from viruses and the likes, but not from false websites.

Alot of Windows anti-virus software also adds safe browsing things - like Norton and McAfee with their site ratings etc. In Firefox, if you click tools > addons > get adds > browse all add ons (you'll be taken to a new webpage). I use an add on called Link Extend. You'll find it by running a search in Firefox's add on page. It creates a tool bar that rates the safety of the site based on Norton, google and other companies.

This will offer you some more protection and help you maked informed decisions as to whether or not to trust a specific site.
    Thanks, But i am fan of Opera, i use it with Wot and adblock. Do you think that Firefox is more secure than opera?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast