Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Google Buzz

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...ogle-buzz.html

Introducing Google Buzz

2/09/2010 11:06:00 AM
    We've blogged before about our thoughts on the social web, steps we've taken to add social features to our products, and efforts like OpenSocial that propose common tools for building social apps. With more and more communication happening online, the social web has exploded as the primary way to share interesting stuff, tell the world what you're up to in real-time and stay more connected to more people. In today's world of status messages, tweets and update streams, it's increasingly tough to sort through it all, much less engage in meaningful conversations.

Our belief is that organizing the social information on the web — finding relevance in the noise — has become a large-scale challenge, one that Google's experience in organizing information can help solve. We've recently launched innovations like real-time search and Social Search, and today we're taking another big step with the introduction of a new product, Google Buzz.

Google Buzz is a new way to start conversations about the things you find interesting. It's built right into Gmail, so you don't have to peck out an entirely new set of friends from scratch — it just works. If you think about it, there's always been a big social network underlying Gmail. Buzz brings this network to the surface by automatically setting you up to follow the people you email and chat with the most. We focused on building an easy-to-use sharing experience that richly integrates photos, videos and links, and makes it easy to share publicly or privately (so you don't have to use different tools to share with different audiences). Plus, Buzz integrates tightly with your existing Gmail inbox, so you're sure to see the stuff that matters most as it happens in real time.

We're rolling out Buzz to all Gmail accounts over the next few days, so if you don't see it in your account yet, check back soon. We also plan to make Google Buzz available to businesses and schools using Google Apps, with added features for sharing within organizations.

On your phone, Google Buzz is much more than just a small screen version of the desktop experience. Mobile devices add an important component to sharing: location. Posts tagged with geographical information have an extra dimension of context — the answer to the question "where were you when you shared this?" can communicate so much. And when viewed in aggregate, the posts about a particular location can paint an extremely rich picture of that place. Check out the Mobile Blog for more info about all of the ways to use Buzz on your phone, from a new mobile web app to a Buzz layer in Google Maps for mobile.

We've relied on other services' openness in order to build Buzz (you can connect Flickr and Twitter from Buzz in Gmail), and Buzz itself is not designed to be a closed system. Our goal is to make Buzz a fully open and distributed platform for conversations. We're building on a suite of open protocols to create a complete read/write developer API, and we invite developers to join us on Google Code to see what is available today and to learn more about how to participate.

We really hope you enjoy the experiences we've built within Gmail and for mobile phones. If you want to learn more, visit buzz.google.com. We look forward to continuing to evolve and improve Google Buzz based on your feedback.
    Doesn't seem to be active on my Gmail yet, but supposedly they're rolling them out throughout the day.

Thoughts?

Edit: In before Google world domination, etc...
    Last edited by virusiidx; February 9th, 2010 at 09:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Google Buzz

Quote Originally Posted by virusiidx View Post
    They are trying to kill Facbook because they failed to buy it. I do not really like Facbook but I would hate to see Google increasing its dominance on WWW. So I don't like the sound of that buzz thing.

I have no Facebook account, so I certainly not going to have buzz.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wow, that's kind of neat really.

Now let's see how they'll throw Wave into the mix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I know people on lots of varying networks only a few of my friends I have there gmail or they have one

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Yet another "social" something. whatever ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It won't compete with anything it will incorporate different things. Therefore they're not "trying to kill facebook"

Beans
    Hidden!

Naw feel.

Beans
    Hidden!

Edit: I turned Google buzz off!
    Last edited by HappinessNow; February 12th, 2010 at 01:13 PM.
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans
    Hidden!

Wow, yet another one, I was so happy when wave came out, it is a great alternative to forums.

I cant wait to get google buzz!
    USE="gentoo" && emerge -avuDN world
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    知さん。

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

To be honest, I've always been more into communities built around something like art (deviantART), so it's not ONLY about the social aspect. I guess those sites will attract more people in general, but that's kinda' why I don't want to use them. Just seems like a cheap, shallow thing to have. I value my mind and time a bit more than I should, perhaps.

I'm not uptight, but I certainly don't enjoy wasting time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast