Thread: Some sort of Boot Scan

Beans

Question Some sort of Boot Scan

Periodically on boot up Ubuntu automatically does a disc or hard-drive scan. If one is paying attention, you can skip this process. I would like to know if there is any way to disable this feature?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Some sort of Boot Scan

Sorry, I don't know how to disable it, but I don't know why you'd want to do that tho. It is only once in a while, and it doesn't take that long.
    It is good to have a routine check, it might detect problems and fix itself without having you go through any or much trouble.

If you don't have time for it one of the times that it pops up, just skip it, and let it run the next time you boot.

~pizza
    Dell Latitude E6400 | Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz | 4GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 800 MHz | 250GB HDD 7200 RPM | NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M 512 MB
    Use a Dell E-Latitude? | I lost The Game

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not sure if you can disable the feature. I know there used to be a way to change the number of boots between occurrences. I'm wondering though, why would you want to disable this feature? It makes sure your disk is healthy and not dying.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I would highly recommend letting the FSCK run.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck

Beans

The reason I want to disable the boot scan is because my hard-drive is on its way out, and the scan repetitively hangs up at the defective point. By chance I was able to re-install ubuntu, however I am quite sure if I allow it to scan it will hang again. I am just trying to by some time before replacing the hard-drive. I could not run e2fsck manually. The automatic version doesn't seem to repair bad sectors. (If that is the correct term?)

Beans

Back up! It will stop working altogether at some point.

I'd suggest running fsck manually (maybe in verbose mode) and letting it run until it's finished, even though that may take a long time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

put 0 0 at the end of you fstab entry, like so:
    Code:
    #Entry for /your/device :
    UUID=yourUUID    /    ext4    errors=remount-ro    0    0
    open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    | Corsair Carbide Series® 300R | Intel Core i5 650@3.20Ghz| OCZ-Vertex3 120 Gb SSD | Western Digital 640 Gb HDD | Western Digital 1 Tb HDD |
    |Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 Extreme | Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64 | Windows 10 Pro |