Thread: "x" key doesn't work on keyboard

Beans

"x" key doesn't work on keyboard

I'm running Karmic Koala. My keyboard has been working fine, but I just booted up and I can't type the "x" key. I don't think I've changed anything since it worked. I went to System > Preferences > Keyboard > Layout and it's set to the default. My exact keyboard isn't listed, but similar sounding layouts didn't work. I'm using a Microsoft (maybe here's my problem =]) Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v1.0. I have no idea where to start. Any ideas?

Beans

Re: "x" key doesn't work on keyboard

I would start by eliminating hardware problems. Test with a different keyboard, it's easier and faster than messing in software.

Beans

Got a new keyboard and you were right the keyboard is broken. Thanks for saving me a ton of time!

Beans

someone can eXplain why this happens ?!

(my X is uppercase because my lowercase doesn't work ... after newly installed 11.10)

notice that my [X] lowercase key works normally on a non graphic console (say in CTRL+ALT+F1 or in GRUB shell )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.