Thread: "Compositing too slow"... what? o.0

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

"Compositing too slow"... what? o.0

Hey, I've been having a little trouble recently with my logon. It works fine, but it's taking longer than usual. I'm running Kubuntu Jaunty with KDE4, and whenever I log in, after an initial pause of upwards of 10 seconds, it'll give me the message "Compositing was too slow and has been cancelled. If this is only a temporary problem, you can resume compositing by pressing 'shift+ctrl+F2'." I have no idea what could be causing this or how to fix it. It works fine after it gives the message, but I'd like to get back to the lightning-fast logon I'm used to. Thanks!
    Linux hath descended forth from thy hand; that sudo shall quickly carry out thy command. We shall pour forth a river to thee; and teeming with kernels shall it ever be. In nomine Torvald, et User, et Spiritus 'Buntu.

Beans
    Distro

Re: "Compositing too slow"... what? o.0

Hello?
    *bump*
    Linux hath descended forth from thy hand; that sudo shall quickly carry out thy command. We shall pour forth a river to thee; and teeming with kernels shall it ever be. In nomine Torvald, et User, et Spiritus 'Buntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Compositing should be related to the window manager. Do you use Compiz?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You can turn off compositing (desktop effects) permanently by right clicking on a window title and going to configure window behavior, uncheck the "enable desktop effects" box. Then it won't try to enable them every time. See if that helps the logon speed.
    (Intel Core i7 860, 2x2GB, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L, Radeon HD 4550, Audigy2 ZS Platinum, Sonata) + Asus V6J + Lenovo IdeaPad U330
    YOU can make Kubuntu Lucid a solid distro | My Blog

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the help. It turns out I had some conflicting desktop effects that my system had to resolve before getting everything started. Thanks for the help and the pointers!