Thread: Installing binary from tarball

Beans

Installing binary from tarball

Hi all,

This may be a very simple question, but I figured I was in the right forum.

I'm trying to install a binary package from a tarball. I have no issue extracting the files from the binary or even executing the binary file to run the program. What I want to know is what is best practice in terms of placing the contents of the archive so that it can be run by all users, and so that it can be run simply by typing the name of the binary so that it runs regardless of what the present work directory is.

The specific program I am trying to install is MRIcron (http://www.cabiatl.com/mricro/mricron/install.html). I downloaded the Linux x86 64bit GTK2, extracted the archive and can run the program by cd-ing into the extracted directory and runnin ./mricron.

That's all good and well, but I was wondering where I should place the mricron directory to make sure that all users can run the program. I've done a fair amount of googling but none of the resources go beyond extracting the files and executing the binary.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Installing binary from tarball

Anything I download outside the repo's I put in the /opt directory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I agree...anything I compile or download from other sources always goes to /opt and I've never had any problems.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro

It should go in /usr/local. Typically, when you download a binary, it is statically linked, so you just need to copy it into /usr/local/bin.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    It should go in /usr/local. Typically, when you download a binary, it is statically linked, so you just need to copy it into /usr/local/bin.
    Thanks Bachstelze. I've copied my binary folder into /usr/local/bin but cannot run it from the terminal by typing the name of the binary (in the same way that I can by typing, say, firefox into the terminal). Do I need to add the directory that contains my binary to the path or is there some other way to go about this?

Beans
    Distro

What is in the "binary folder"? Yopu must copy your binary into /usr/local/bin, not a folder that contains it.

Beans

Thanks for your help Bachstelze.
    Last edited by doctor.dan; February 10th, 2010 at 03:44 AM.