Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lotus Symphony 3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lotus Symphony 3

Yes there is. Take a look at the site and get the Ubuntu 8.04 version. If it worked in Debian, surely it should work on newer Ubuntu releases

I'd like to use it as my main suite, but there are a few things holding me back from it. I don't get why most menu entries are greyed out.. prevents me from doing a load of things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You may find alot of the menu items are greyed out until
    you start working on a document. Menus such as Table and
    alot of the Layout menu items are grey until you start to
    insert tables or graphics.

So far I have found it to be pretty good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wonder what's going to happen with LibreOffice, whether IBM will continue Symphony or try to merge the changes or drop it all together and join LibreOffice.

They could make a huge difference with LibreOffice and help push it into a real competitor for MS Office (which is a fine product IMHO).
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Wonder what's going to happen with LibreOffice, whether IBM will continue Symphony or try to merge the changes or drop it all together and join LibreOffice.

They could make a huge difference with LibreOffice and help push it into a real competitor for MS Office (which is a fine product IMHO).
    Thats an interesting point. I will ask my wife when she gets back from her current business trip.
    This account is not active.

Beans

I am aware Libre and Lotus are both based on OOO but Lotus feels like a totally different office package. Colluding on the base code would be grand but I am not sure I would want both to merge. On the one hand I feel we could use something unique, new and shiney to stand up to the MS Office gauntlet. On the other hand I am aware people dont like change. To a degree OOO / Libre are similar enough to MS office to feel mostly familiar when making a switch.

They both have good uses.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Naiki Muliaina View Post
    I am aware Libre and Lotus are both based on OOO but Lotus feels like a totally different office package. Colluding on the base code would be grand but I am not sure I would want both to merge. On the one hand I feel we could use something unique, new and shiney to stand up to the MS Office gauntlet. On the other hand I am aware people dont like change. To a degree OOO / Libre are similar enough to MS office to feel mostly familiar when making a switch.

They both have good uses.
    Libre currently is just a rebranded OpenOffice.org while Symphony was taken from an older OpenOffice.org and has been under development for some time.

A great thing about LibreOffice providing a clean slate is they can focus, direct and target completely differently than the course OpenOffice was going, much like Symphony did so long ago.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Is symphony 3 based on OOO 3? (aside from the most basic stuff I wouldn't notice the difference clearly )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Lotus Symphony 3 is now out of beta (but the ubuntu package is still for hardy ).

I have just had my first "problem" using symphony, just after I launched it for the first time:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by papangul; October 23rd, 2010 at 04:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Lotus Symphony is closed source. They're not going to merge with LibreOffice.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Naiki Muliaina View Post
    Is symphony 3 based on OOO 3? (aside from the most basic stuff I wouldn't notice the difference clearly )
    Well... actually, Symphony 3 uses the OOo 3 core... but the interface and design, somewhat unique to IBM still shows its roots from the OOo 1.1.4 (which had a non GNU-ish license, allowing a proprietary non-"free" fork) on which it was taken (which is one reason why it does the single window thing).

In short, the interface is DIFFERENT. But a lot of the core (minus perhaps being completely "up to date") is the same.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast