Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If I may ask this

Beans

Re: If I may ask this

No politics here. Linux to me is a platform of great security stability and speed. Best of all is that when i get bored it is quite fun to intentionally hose the os and try and repair it on my own. If i cant it's no big deal with a free os, it is with a 100 dollar one though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ell02 View Post
    No politics here. Linux to me is a platform of great security stability and speed. Best of all is that when i get bored it is quite fun to intentionally hose the os and try and repair it on my own. If i cant it's no big deal with a free os, it is with a 100 dollar one though.
    Same here: I don't really care about the politics of it. It is what has worked for me the best over the years.

Are any of you in North Carolina?

If not; why did you choose our forum for this disscussion?

-mark
    --that's carpenter, not the nasty fish...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by erik2912 View Post
    No, i just want a secure os without blue screens.
    Me too. Nothing political about it for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: If I may ask this

Let's see my reasons for using Linux, hmmm...

At first it was just another technology that the time had come for me to learn. We were looking at moving our Oracle database servers to Linux at the company I worked for at the time. The manager of the IT security team suggested Ubuntu 6.06 to learn the basics. I downloaded and installed it. That was years ago.

Now I use it because it's faster, safer, cleaner, cheaper and can do everything I want it to do.

No politics, never even crossed my mind.

(We never did move Oracle to Linux. The company went out of business a few years after I left.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use Linux because it fits all of my computing needs and the price fits my budget.

I dual booted with Windows 98SE and Windows XP until I got completely fed up with the many bugs that remained unfixed in Windows. I found myself booting into Windows only when helping "friends" with their computers, but I got tired of that quickly as all the help went one way.

When I finally reclaimed the disk space that Windows had used, I found that I could do all my computing needs easier and quicker in Linux, so I haven't looked back.

I may come across as political as I strongly disagree with Microsoft's business ethics.

Competition is good for the consumer and producer, so up Linux!
    "Not a window in the house but somehow there's more light..."

Linux Power Tools

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fancypiper View Post
    I use Linux because it fits all of my computing needs and the price fits my budget.

I dual booted with Windows 98SE and Windows XP until I got completely fed up with the many bugs that remained unfixed in Windows. I found myself booting into Windows only when helping "friends" with their computers, but I got tired of that quickly as all the help went one way.

When I finally reclaimed the disk space that Windows had used, I found that I could do all my computing needs easier and quicker in Linux, so I haven't looked back.

I may come across as political as I strongly disagree with Microsoft's business ethics.

Competition is good for the consumer and producer, so up Linux!
    In my opinion Apple's business practices make Microsoft look out of date.

The best part of this thread is that we have some NC respondents.

Second best is that we didn't get all carried away with flames, we were and are capable of a reasonable discussion.

I find that to have a high value.

I don't see politics in my choice of operating systems but others may.

I've also been pondering how something that is owned by no one can be owned by so many. Play on the word "owned".

Ownership doesn't fit in at all does it?

Where does the little bit that I contribute fit? Well if it fits in at all; I don't own that little bit.

I suppose to some that concept seems offensive. But I see it is as y'all give a lot, I take a lot and give back a little.

oh that is how it works, this whole open source thing.

The biggest gain or plus is for the end user who gains access to the knowledge only granted to the precious few anointed by the knowledge gods.

Well a computer is a car, truck; your vehicle. Do you trust your mechanic?

Well my brother is a mechanic so I can't answer that unequivocally but I hope you get my point.

-mark

linux since '98
    --that's carpenter, not the nasty fish...

Beans

I am from, well I live in, NC. I'm actually from NH by way of Florida.
    I love Linux. I uninstalled my wubi install last week and did a side by side in preparation for Nuke Day. I run 2 computers. One as I mentioned before is my "band" for my one man show. I'm running proprietary software that will only run in Windows. I have XP PRO. I have to admit that that computer is as touble free and as fast as Ubuntu unless I want to put it on the Internet and load up all the crap. This is what irks me about MS. They could fix all of the security issues if they wanted but they won't. If you do there updates you get all this"security fix" stuff. Right. I don't mind then owning the OS however it's become a monopoly of sorts and that's what bugs me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12