Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Linux on a Toshiba A505-s6033

Beans

Re: Installing Linux on a Toshiba A505-s6033

I installed the wireless drivers as root and not sudo and it seems to be doing much better.

Has anyone tested out the HDMI, eSATA port to see if those are working?
    Any had any luck getting multi touch pad or the button to turn off the pad to work?
    Toshiba Satellite A505-S6020
    Intel® Core i5-430M processor
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 310M

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rampage355 View Post
    I installed the wireless drivers as root and not sudo and it seems to be doing much better.

Has anyone tested out the HDMI, eSATA port to see if those are working?
    Any had any luck getting multi touch pad or the button to turn off the pad to work?
    Rampage355, what steps did you end up taking to get this to work? I have tried several different ones and cant get wireless running.

Beans

Simulator reply # 26 of this post page 3 I think, I tried it as root after i already did it as sudo and it still did not work. I am pretty new to command line and did not know how to uninstall the wireless driver. So when I reinstalled I ran the wireless part all as root and have not had any problems. My problem is I want 10.4 and it wants to be stubborn lol
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 310M

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rampage355 View Post
    Simulator reply # 26 of this post page 3 I think, I tried it as root after i already did it as sudo and it still did not work. I am pretty new to command line and did not know how to uninstall the wireless driver. So when I reinstalled I ran the wireless part all as root and have not had any problems. My problem is I want 10.4 and it wants to be stubborn lol
    Thanks for the reply. You did this on 9.10 64bit or 10.04 Beta 2 64 bit? I appreciate your help

Beans

9.10 64 bit and it worked great per the post from Simulator, except for the sudo issue with the wireless. Now I just need my power management for my laptop.
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 310M

Beans

Has anyone updated there kernel from 2.6.31-20 to 2.6.31-21 on 9.10 64 bit, if so what issues have you had?
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 310M

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

In my plan is this laptop but when I read this thread I got confused I cant use windows any more, so please tell us what works and what doesnt !!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Okay I've been away for this thread for a while and mostly gave up on it, but last night I tried to go ahead and see if I could get 10.04 to install. I tried using wubi and I think I managed to install it. The Display didn't work during the install process but I just waited long enough and the laptop turned itself of then when I turned it back on the ubuntu option in windows bootloader switched from saying something about an installer to a regular grub menu. The problem is the graphics still don't work. I tried doing the recovery mode option and it worked fine for a while said something about an irq then went to black and stayed that way. I see people have gotten linux to install so it is workable if not perfect but I can't even seem to manage that. any help?

Beans

I am replying to this post from my "mostly fully functioning" Toshiba A505, core i7, 6GB RAM; running Ubuntu 10.04. Aside from power-management (laptop battery) issues (i.e. I can run off of the battery, but have no way yet to tell how much "power" is left in it - gotta figure that one out!), everything seems to be working fine (wireless [ok], USB [ok], webcam [ok], vmware workstation 7 [ok]).

I booted and installed from the Live CD version (10.04) with the "noapic" and "nomodeset" added to the kernel boot parameters. After the initial installation and prior to rebooting for the first time, I added the same boot parameters (noapic & nomodeset) to /boot/grub/grub.cfg; reboot went fine and I ended up with a working system (PAE kernel) but only 800x600 resolution.

Next task; installed the proprietary Nvidia graphics driver and rebooted (left the added boot parameters [see above] in /boot/grub/grub.cfg). Reboot resulted in a working system with 1366x768 resolution [yeah]!

Next task; sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade [followed by reboot]. All is working well, just gotta figure out the battery/power management problem (or find out where it is already posted).

So far so good, very happy with things at this point; when I first purchased it Windows 7 & Office 2007 kept crashing on the laptop, so I made the switch to an Ubuntu base and Win XP Pro in a virtual machine for my "windows only apps."

marleyfan68

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by marleyfan68 View Post
    ...I booted and installed from the Live CD version (10.04) with the "noapic" and "nomodeset" added to the kernel boot parameters. After the initial installation and prior to rebooting for the first time, I added the same boot parameters (noapic & nomodeset) to /boot/grub/grub.cfg; reboot went fine and I ended up with a working system (PAE kernel) but only 800x600 resolution.

Next task; installed the proprietary Nvidia graphics driver and rebooted (left the added boot parameters [see above] in /boot/grub/grub.cfg). Reboot resulted in a working system with 1366x768 resolution [yeah]!...
    Mind a few more detail (Ie step by step instructions) on how to do that? I'm new at linux terminal, and am not sure how to add the noapic and nodeset options to the kernel boot peramiters.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast