Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Network Monitor | Traffic Analyzer app.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Favorite Network Monitor | Traffic Analyzer app.

Google this
    Code:
    dd-wrt
    it a micro linux you can install on your router, it will give you a bunch of great information along with graphs and what interfaces are using what from where.
    Note this is just a small portion of what its capable of. If you want more info or any questions let me know I know its not an app but hey it will do the job and then some. I also know there is another project
    Code:
    tomato

Let me know
    Google Will Rule the world I can see it.!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by alienprdkt View Post
    I was asking because here at work on our T1 line with the only thing on it is our VOIP phones and an MS2007 exchange I sometimes get undesirable cutting out on phone calls, was wondering if there was any way to monitor our bandwidth to see if that is a problem. Even though I have strict QoS enabled on our Sonicwall.
    what kind of router/switch are you using in between your T1 modem and your, VOIP / exchange servers?

that router or switch is really the only device thats going to know all the incomming / outgoing connections on that subnet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mrhhug View Post
    what kind of router/switch are you using in between your T1 modem and your, VOIP / exchange servers?

that router or switch is really the only device thats going to know all the incomming / outgoing connections on that subnet
    We have a sonicwall tz-100 and a dell gigabit switch... which we have configured for QoS for VOIP.. but still at times get undesired results. Think actually maybe a bandwidth issue because of the VPN between our office and an offsite location. The offsite are mainly the ones with the problems.

Really wish we could atleast get cable in our building but they want 25k for installation, and Verizion with FIOS gives usthe run around because why pay them 50 a month when we get from there subs at 10 times that for the T1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

If you are still looking try ntop. Great little program.

Don't think it is for Linux but: http://www.paessler.com/prtg/ is also good.

As I'm sure your aware that these kind of applications need to be run off of a SPAN or other monitor port or in-line to work properly.

Mabe the QOS is not working properly? Just a thought.

Any ways, good luck with the problem. If it continues I may have a few more ideas for you.

Beans

It appears that it involved many stuff.
    1. Real-time monitoring who/what application eats up your uplink
    2. VOIP is kinda tricky, it's not only the bandwidth but a window in millisecond:
    If you have the bandwidth, then regular settings will give them the entire amount. The only difference between guaranteed bandwidth and regular settings is that guaranteed bandiwdth gives them the bandwidth every time period (a window in milliseconds), whereas regular bandwidth is averaged over longer periods. So to simplify, if the window was 1 second, a minimum setting of 512kbs would make certain that they COULD GET AT LEAST 512K each second. A regular setting of 512K might give them 480K one second and 540K the next. There are no regular applications other than VOIP that notice such differences over small time periods.
    3. You might want to go a step further: manage your bandwidth to have VOIP running smoothly, Sonicwall QoS is based queue which is not very suitable for VOIP, because queue implies that all the traffic should be delay, in turn it introduces the latency in the network.

Take a look at MyQoS(www.myqos.net), if your uplink is less than 2Mb/s you could get it for free.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ok how about something new,
    best app to monitor traffic type on a network scale?
    SIP, HTTP, SMTP.
    any help is greatly appreciated?
    Last edited by alienprdkt; December 3rd, 2010 at 05:06 PM.

Beans

I'm interested in this too. I'm leaning towards running Toastman's tomato build on a recent router. This will give you:

1) Bandwidth usage history per IP on the LAN
    2) QOS that works
    3) VPN client/server
    4) VLAN (isolated networks)

I'm am looking at installing darkstat.

The most powerful router supported seems to be the Linksys E4200. Most recent builds are here:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/...#dir=149787153

Forums are at linksysinfo.org.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12