Thread: OpenVPN routing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Unhappy OpenVPN routing

Ok, I've looked high and low to solve this. My problem is that I'm migrating from my old server (oldie) to a new one (theprofessor).

I have installed the same version of OpenVPN on the new one and I have copied the config file from the old to the new. On theprofessor, I can connect to the VPN and access resources on it and surf the web through it from my laptop. On theprofessor, I can connect to the VPN and access resources on it but I can't surf the web through it.

My first thought was maybe a firewall issue so on my laptop and theprofessor I ran
    Code:
    sudo iptables -F
    and I also made sure that my laptop was in the DMZ of my router. It didn't make any difference. I started looking through the log on theprofessor and it turns out that it's being flooded with this:
    Code:
    Thu Feb  4 23:10:57 2010 philipjfry/[ext IP addr]:57064 MULTI: bad source address from client [192.168.1.101], packet dropped
    Note: philipjfry is my laptop and 192.168.1.101 is the IP assigned to me by my router.

Can anyone help me figure out why it's dropping all my packets?

Here's the server config:

Code:
        dev tun
        proto udp
        port 1194

ca /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/2.0/keys/ca.crt
        cert /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/2.0/keys/theprofessor.crt
        key /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/2.0/keys/theprofessor.key
        dh /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/2.0/keys/dh2048.pem

user nobody
        group nogroup
        server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0

persist-key
        persist-tun

status openvpn-status.log
        verb 3
        client-to-client

push "redirect-gateway def1"

log-append /var/log/openvpn
        comp-lzo 
        #management localhost 7505

push "dhcp-option DNS 208.67.222.222"
        push "dhcp-option DNS 208.67.220.220"

ping 10
        ping-restart 120
    There is no client config. I'm connecting with the NetworkManager.

Beans

Re: OpenVPN routing

I think you may need to enable IP forwarding on the server
    (it's disabled by default. I did think it was automatically enabled once you installed anything like a VPN server, but maybe not)

Check the output of this
    Code:
    cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    0 = disabled
    1 = enabled

If it's disabled,
    then edit /etc/sysctl.conf
    and uncomment the line
    net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

reboot the server, and hopefully IP forwarding will work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I made sure that it was enabled and rebooted the server. It didn't seem to change anything. I'm still seeing my server log flooded with:
    Code:
    Fri Feb  5 18:10:28 2010 philipjfry/[ext ip]:41400 MULTI: bad source address from client [192.168.1.101], packet dropped

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

can't say what is wrong with this, cause I don't really onderstand what you mean with

- "On theprofessor, I can connect to the VPN and access resources on it and surf the web through it from my laptop."

- "On the professor, I can connect to the VPN and access resources on it but I can't surf the web through it."

It's not clear what you're trying to accomplish with your VPN.
    Maybe you need to elaborate a bit.

Nonetheless, I noticed a couple of things that are peculiar

1/ you have "client-to-client" in your conf - that means you just want a tunnel between two hosts, right ? So I don't understand why you're asking about 'routing'

2/ you hace CA, certs and keys in your server conf - doesn't that also reqsuire you have a cert or a key on your client ? But you say "there's no client setup"

3/ "philipjfry/[ext IP addr]:57064 MULTI: bad source address from client [192.168.1.101], packet dropped"
    This suggests philipjfry connects to theprofessor through the internet (via A NAT router, giving it your router's external address, I assume ?) but the packets it sends have source address 192.168.1.101. I can think of two reasons your system complains aboput this
    1- this looks like spoofing, and theprofessor refuses to handle it
    2- theprofessor doesn't know how to route towards that address - in that case, the tunnel interface might have not come up, or there's a (default ?) route missing.

EDIT amauk's post seems to confirm this, so you may want to look at your routing table.
    Last edited by koenn; February 5th, 2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: didn't see amauk post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

So, it turns out all of my problems were caused by the fact that my server is a OpenVZ instance and therefore
    Code:
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $IFACE -j MASQUERADE
    was failing and not allowing the packets to be properly routed. I solved the problem by running this instead:
    Code:
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.8.0.0/24 -o venet0 -j SNAT --to [ext ip of server]
    A few other clarifications:
    Code:
    1/ you have "client-to-client" in your conf
    This option just allows clients to see and connect to each other.

Code:
    2/ you hace CA, certs and keys in your server conf
    I just meant that I was using NetworkManager on my client to handle the connection and hadn't specifically installed OpenVPN on it.

Thanks for all of your help with this.