Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI Radeon 7500 gfx video disaster

Beans

ATI Radeon 7500 gfx video disaster

I didn't know KUBUNTU can't handle this video adapter.

If anyone has a fix out there, please post.

I can get to terminal, but cannot see most other tools that i select.

thanks

Mark

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: ATI Radeon 7500 gfx video disaster

Could you expand a little on what you are getting. Is it just the command line, or are you getting a proper desktop (ie with windows) but the resolution is too low (can't see all of the desktop).

Also, was it like this when you first started up Kubuntu or did it happen after you installed the driver from ATi?
    Last edited by Ji Ruo; February 5th, 2010 at 01:11 AM.

Beans

It is loading the desktop, and loading the background but when you start using the mouse, often times, on all programs selected, it blanks out the display so you cannot see anything.
    During installation i didn't explicitly load the ATI drivers myself, its my understanding they were detected and downloaded automatically.
    Problem has been there since the installation was finished.

Mark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You must install the ATI driver yourself.

Go to -> System -> Administration -> Hardware controller (jokey-kde).

Install one of the available drivers.

Restart session (logout-> login).

Open the ATI display manager. (May need to edit the laucher to add "gksu" before the command to get root rights)

Beans

My options are system, administration, hardware drivers (not hardware controller)

and apparently its already been done (by the installer whom was not myself) as the only thing in the list is a broadcomm network controller)

but then it gets confusing, as the "ATI display manager" that you mention is nowhere to be found.

if the ATI drivers have been installed , where should i be seeing the "ATI display manager" ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I suspected that the proprietary driver was already installed. There are 2 different drivers for ATi cards in Linux, the other one is the open driver (being developed by the community) and this one has less problems. It should load automatically when the proprietary driver is uninstalled and the computer rebooted.

The information on the open ATi driver is here - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

You should need to just type in the code for removing the proprietary driver in the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx
    then reboot your computer (if you get dropped to a console, I think you just enter 'restart' or 'reboot' to get the computer to restart).

That's all you should need to do. When Kubuntu reloads, the kernel will use its own ATi driver, and hopefully your display will work properly.

I should note also that you shouldn't need to do any configuration etc like the link says. That will all happen automatically.

Beans

message: package xorg-driver-fglrx is not installed, so not removed,

the following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    linux-headers-2.6.31-17 linux-headers-2.6.31-17-generic

Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them

I tried removing what they recommend above and that makes no difference in the video

Beans

I also tried the following to check my graphic card and chipset

lspci -nn | grep VGA

ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [radeon mobility 7500] [1002:4c57]

and when i look in "hardware drivers" no proprietary drivers are installed
    Last edited by unkelmarkmark; February 5th, 2010 at 06:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

There are no ATI drivers that will work with your card and Ubuntu 9.10, so ignore any advice about trying to install them -- you'll only make the situation worse in the process.

Go to the link that Ji Ruo gave you for the open source driver and read ALL the instructions about removing/installing drivers.

You should end up with a working open source driver -- and that's all that is available for your card.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

All of this has come to a halt because the install doesn't have an xorg.conf file.

I used "locate" and was logged in as root, and don't find any xorg.conf file

I am using Ubuntu 9.10 released in October 2009.

in the x11 directory i have a file called: default-display-manager
    and in this file there is simply the following:
    /usr/bin/kdm

am i on the right track here? do i need to create a display file from scratch?
    Last edited by unkelmarkmark; February 7th, 2010 at 12:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast