Thread: *.in files??

Beans

*.in files??

what does it mean when a file ends *.in?

Is there some sort of utility that you typically run these files against?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: *.in files??

Linux doesn't really use filename extensions. You'd be better off using the 'file' command to work out what sort of file it is.

For instance, if your file is called "thing.in" you'd do:

Code:
    file thing.in
    It will return the type of file, if it can determine it (or just return "plain text file" or "raw binary file" if it can't).
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Re: *.in files??

Files ending with .in are typically template files used by a program called "configure" that generates a new file without the extension after substituting for variable expansions. I.e., if you're looking at a source tree that has files called, e.g. Makefile.in in the tree, then "./configure" will generate a usable Makefile that can be used to "make" from source. If you don't understand what this all means, then you're in over your head and need to read a C or C++ programming book.