Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Command

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Command

How do you get into Root from the Terminal.? What command do you use ? Also i am getting a strange error when trying to apt-get autoclean it reply back in terminal

with E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the download directory

also the same error with apt-get clean

Tell me is there a set number of maintenance that you have to do after downloading and installing a new program

Beans

Re: Command

Do this and use your own password when prompted. I'm assuming you're the one who installed Ubuntu on your pc/laptop.

"sudo apt-get autoclean"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RemmyNumber7 View Post
    How do you get into Root from the Terminal.? What command do you use ? Also i am getting a strange error when trying to apt-get autoclean it reply back in terminal

with E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the download directory

also the same error with apt-get clean

Tell me is there a set number of maintenance that you have to do after downloading and installing a new program
    You need to be root to use apt.
    sudo apt-get <command>
    To get to a root prompt use sudo su
    Anytime you use sudo it will ask for YOUR password. This will be your user password.

z

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thanks that did work thank you vary much

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thank you for the root advice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Advice

I am about to get a new motherboard. This one that i am using is an old 866 mhz. It is not much but gets me online.My question is the new board is a 64 bit and this one is 32 bit..
    Is there any changes that i must know between the both board as far as partition. What system requirements are needed for a swap file.For example lets say the new system has more then 1 gig of ram or more then a 100 gig hard drive.

Beans

Re: Advice

I am about to get a new motherboard. This one that i am using is an old 866 mhz. It is not much but gets me online.My question is the new board is a 64 bit and this one is 32 bit..
    Is there any changes that i must know between the both board as far as partition. What system requirements are needed for a swap file.For example lets say the new system has more then 1 gig of ram or more then a 100 gig hard drive.
    The swap partition is debatable. I believe it is required if you use Hibernate function as it copies your system ram to the swap. If this is the case you will need to have as much swap space as you do ram.

I have three partitions on a 250G drive.
    Swap --> 1G same as my system ram
    root --> 50G
    Home --> 175G

Having your home on a separate partition or drive makes upgrade easier.

I have a 64 bit computer but am running a 32bit OS. Unless you have more that 4G of RAM 64 isn't required. I'm sure more will chime in on 32 vs. 64.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How long have you been running Ubuntu? I just came from windows myself. But after running Ubuntu Linux i am never going back to windows ever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

what are those bean like objects next to everyone's name ?

Beans

How long have you been running Ubuntu? I just came from windows myself. But after running Ubuntu Linux i am never going back to windows ever.
    Since about Feisty which was version 7.10. I just upgraded from Hardy to Jaunty this month. I was going to wait until the next LTS (Lucid) but after seeing Karmic I'm not real happy with the direction it's heading. We'll see when Lucid comes out if I upgrade or Jump to a different distro. Every other Ubunut release always has seemed more like a technical testing release while they figure out all the NEW functionality.

Not sure what the beans are. Probably noob status.
    Last edited by drzoo2; February 3rd, 2010 at 06:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast