Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus EEE 1001P wireless & mobile broadband

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Asus EEE 1001P wireless & mobile broadband

Got the Asus EEE 1001P on Monday and was running into the same issues.

The card is the Azurewave AR5B95 it's a half minipci-e card.

I encountered some issues with the ndiswrapper because at the moment that is the only method that was working, I was then running into this issue

Code:
    ndiswrapper (iw_set_auth:1602): invalid cmd 12

Then went here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8426311
    Last edited by DarkCanis; February 3rd, 2010 at 06:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm now using the patched version of ndiswrapper. The network manager recognizes the usb stick again but I can still only connect once, so when I lose the connection I have to restart ubuntu to reconnect.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

New here to the forum. Want to say a big thanks for all the info posted here! It came in handy.

Just bought the 1001P and it came pre-loaded with Win7 blah. Wiped it and installed Xubuntu 9.10 desktop and loaded the WindowsXP LAN driver. Works beautifully! Overall so far I am very pleased with this netbook. Going to use it for school mainly.

-Matt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I solved the issues with the wireless and the screen brightness control. As I am writing down my experiences and fixes in a blog you can find the exact steps over there:

http://linuxon1001p.blogspot.com

For wireless I use a self compiled native driver which was really not difficult to do and the brightnes issue is fixed completely including on screen notifications and auto dimming working.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kspeed View Post
    New here to the forum. Want to say a big thanks for all the info posted here! It came in handy.

Just bought the 1001P and it came pre-loaded with Win7 blah. Wiped it and installed Xubuntu 9.10 desktop and loaded the WindowsXP LAN driver. Works beautifully! Overall so far I am very pleased with this netbook. Going to use it for school mainly.

-Matt
    ndiswrapper (and the XP driver) gives me bad signal quality.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...32/+bug/521967

Beans
    Distro

This is a better way of getting your wireless to work.

It is better than using the windows drivers:
    1) better link quality
    2) GNU linux module, rather than windows
    3) easy

Go here:
    http://wireless.kernel.org/download/...-wireless-2.6/
    and download the latest drivers, for example:
    http://wireless.kernel.org/download/...-04-18.tar.bz2

Now extract these files
    Open a SHELL, and change into the directory created with the archive, it's probably something like:
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads/compat-wireless-2010-04-18
    now select the driver
    Code:
    ./scripts/driver-select ath9k
    You now need to build the drivers
    Code:
    make
    Now install them with this
    Code:
    sudo make install
    sudo make unload
    sudo modprobe ath9k
    You will need to do ALL the above EACH TIME the kernel is updated.
    Networking works perfectly for me on my ASUS 1005PE now

Beans

Hey there, after going through the steps you have listed, the modprobe command gives me a large set of errors and when I reboot my machine the kernel won't boot. I have to revert to the old kernel in order to even get into the OS. Have you heard of anything similar to this happening?

Beans
    Distro

How about copying and pasting the large amount of errors into a post, there should be a clue there as to what is going wrong.
    Ubuntu 10.04 NBR on Asus EeePC 1005PE

If you don't hear back from me, I forgot to subscribe to the thread, sorry... send me a message, to give me a poke and wake me up.

Beans

Sorry for the slow reply.

When issuing the command sudo modprobe ath9k, I get the following errors:

sudo modprobe ath9k
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
    WARNING: Error inserting pcmcia_core (/lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting compat (/lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/updates/compat/compat.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting mac80211 (/lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/updates/net/mac80211/mac80211.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    FATAL: Error inserting ath9k (/lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/updates/cw/ath9k.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

Nothing crashes after this, however when I reboot it will not boot into the OS and I have to revert to an older kernel.

Beans

I get errors on your last command:

Code:
    asus@Asus:~/Downloads/compat-wireless-2010-04-26$   sudo modprobe ath9k
     WARNING: Error inserting ath9k_hw  (/lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/updates/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/ath9k_hw.ko):   Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
     WARNING: Error inserting ath9k_common  (/lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/updates/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/ath9k_common.ko):   Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
     WARNING: Error inserting mac80211  (/lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/updates/cw/mac80211.ko):  Unknown symbol  in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
     FATAL: Error inserting ath9k  (/lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/updates/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/ath9k.ko):   Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
     asus@Asus:~/Downloads/compat-wireless-2010-04-26$

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast