Thread: What is The Maximum Hard Drive Capacity in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question What is The Maximum Hard Drive Capacity in Ubuntu?

I have a Dell Studio desktop that is only 1 year old and the 650 Gig drive is already full. I have a second drive bay on this computer and wish to add a new SATA disc drive. I want to get the biggest drive I can but wondered if there is a hardware/software limit in either my machine's Bios or within Ubuntu 9.10 that will limit my drive's maximum size.

So, here's the question...How much capacity can I add (starting with 650 Gigs).

Thanks!
    New To Linux? So am I.
    http://linux4noobs.blogspot.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: What is The Maximum Hard Drive Capacity in Ubuntu?

The limits will be down to BIOS and filesystem type; assuming both are modern, I doubt you could buy a drive that would touch their limits.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Chatting with Dell...not sure of competency here...they said it was 1.2 TB max which means I can only add another 600 Gig or so. That did not sound correct to me. Anyway to verify limits (or lack of limits)before I purchase a new drive?
    New To Linux? So am I.

Beans

The maximum volume size for ext4 (Ubuntu 9.10's default filesystem) is currently 1EiB.
    1EiB = 1 Million TiB

The biggest single hard drives that I currently know of are just 2 Terabytes in size, so unless you stripe more than 500,000 2TB drives in RAID0, you won't ever come across this problem currently.

I've currently got a 1.5TB hard disk in my computer at the moment (running Ubuntu 9.10 64bit partitioned as one big ext4), everything is detected and works fine.
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

So there's not a bios limit to be concerned with? Is there a way to check what my bios limit is?

What really concerns me is the fact that I have a Generation 1 version of this Hp Media Vaultwhich runs on Linux. The max capacity limit is 1.2TB or two 600 Gig drives per bay. This is running on Linux so why is there a limit of only 1.2TB?

Sorry for the questions but I just want to order the biggest drive I can afford AND be able to access all of it.
    New To Linux? So am I.

Beans

There are possibilities to create larger volumes.

e.g. LVM and also USB/e_SATA RAID devices which support two or more Hard Drives of sizes up to 2 TB.

I have a 3TB Volume as external USB-RAID device which will only be supported on Linux if the Kernel was compiled with "CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION", as "regular" Partitions (non-GPT) cannot be created larger than 2TB.

fdisk is limited to 2TB. gparted can handle GPT partitions.

I have heard that some Ubuntu versions did not support partitions larger than 2TB.

File system limits are not related to this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Find your board version, then check the BIOS revision at boot time. Then check the Manufacturer's site.

Or look in the mainboard manual.