Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux on alienware-m11x?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Linux on alienware-m11x?

Has anyone tried the new Alienware M11X on Linux?
    Is the nvidia GeForce GT 335M working with nouveau? What about the nvidia closed-source binary drivers?

Beans

Re: Linux on alienware-m11x?

I don't think it officially ships until the beginning of March..I thought about buying one but I ONLY use Ubuntu/ Linux and don't feel like buying something I will be forced to use Windows on until all the drivers are worked out

Beans

I'm also eyeing this machine, although I would dual boot it. (Windows for games, Linux for everything else). I did some research about switchable graphics/gpus.. I think the 335M will run fine, however there's no way of switching between the two in Linux while the machine is running. If alienware gives a BIOS option (I believe in Windows FN-F6 switches between the two) or the FN-F6 is hardwired via the BIOS then we should be fine. However, if the only way to switch between the two is in software then it wouldn't make for a very good Linux machine. I'd say give it awhile and keep an eye on what other people are doing with it once it comes out in March.

Beans

Hardware Heaven did a review of the M11 here. In some of the pictures posted there was one of the BIOS Screen. Looks like the graphics are switchable in the bios, which means the graphics part shouldn't be an issue with Linux. I'd guess that this laptop will work fine in Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

As mentioned, I am eyeing this machine as well but just refuse to use windows as a sole OS. So who's first to test it out??????
    System: Sony Vaio PCG-SRX77, PIIIM 800 MHz, 384 MB RAM, 20 GB HD, E17

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just ordered this laptop and I am very interested in getting it to run with linux. I think switchable nvidia graphics are simple enough to do. Take a look at the ul30vt and related models from asus. They too have switchable graphics and work fine under ubuntu. I will post more results once I get the machine
    Just because I am insane does not mean that I am wrong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tahnok View Post
    I just ordered this laptop and I am very interested in getting it to run with linux. I think switchable nvidia graphics are simple enough to do. Take a look at the ul30vt and related models from asus. They too have switchable graphics and work fine under ubuntu. I will post more results once I get the machine
    Please do! I think this is a great machine just wish it was on the Dells "limited" approved list to be sold with Ubuntu....lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I doubt it will ever be officially supported by Dell seeing as it's an alienware and those are for gaming.
    Just because I am insane does not mean that I am wrong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tahnok View Post
    I doubt it will ever be officially supported by Dell seeing as it's an alienware and those are for gaming.
    Ya doesn't take a degree to figure that one out. I just wish people would realize that gamers aren't the only ones who want powerful computers. I never have been a gamer and I always buy really nice machines because I can't stand to be slowed down waiting for my machine to "think"

Beans

I just wanted to add that I am very interested in this laptop and will pounce on it as soon as I am sure it will run Ubuntu well.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast