Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Installation on new Asus Eee PC 1001P

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Installation on new Asus Eee PC 1001P

Azurewave AR5B95 it's a half minipci-e card. This is an Atheros card as well. It should be the exact same card if I'm not mistaken.

I actually followed those same steps and got it working briefly. I'm certain this is probably it's related to the DD-WRT firmware I'm running which is one of the newer betas but I was able to connect once and then after the reboots it wouldn't work.

I planned on replacing this with a wireless N card(Dual Band), but I was going to do so after possibly a HDD upgrade later on. I'm glad you got it working though, I wonder if there's anyway to donate this card so that a proper driver can be written for it.
    Last edited by DarkCanis; February 3rd, 2010 at 06:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCanis View Post
    Azurewave AR5B95 it's a half minipci-e card. This is an Atheros card as well. It should be the exact same card if I'm not mistaken.
    I guess what I don't understand is, if we both have the same netbook, why did my steps work out for me, but not for you? Unless, like you say, it's your DD-WRT firmware... though that seems strange, I'd figure any router firmware would work fine.

Check out Tomato, it blows DD-WRT away in my opinion. Get it from www.polarcloud.com.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I think that firmware isn't compatible with the WRT310N. OpenWRT might work better, but either way the new card should be here sometime next week. I'll be experimenting with a bluetooth usb dongle next so we'll see how that goes!

Beans
    Distro

Good luck! I will continue to post updates to this thread as I get other components working 100% (microphone, multi-touch, brightness controls). I also plan on updating the official Wiki to add the 1001P.

Beans

Hi. First of all im quite new to linux so please if you have an idea for the solution to my problempost it. however basic it migth seem.

i have a new 1001p and using xubuntu 9.10 (not the netbook edition). and i just cant get the wireless network working.

this is from "lspci -vnn"
    02:00.0 Network controller [0280]_ Atheros Communications Inc. Device [168c:002c] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Device [1a3b:1112]
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
    Memory at fbff0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64k]
    Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-
    Capabilities: [60] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
    Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel <?>
    Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 12-14-24-ff-ff-17-15-00
    Capabilities: [170] Power Budgeting <?>
    i tried everything written in the post. quess im missing the line "driver in use: ndiswrapper". i installed the xp drivers with ndiswrapper, but i just cant get it working. in "ifconfig" the wireless controller doesn't show up.
    i configured an wireless connection through the NetworkManager. But i cannot activate it (only the wired connections).

if you have ANY ideas, pls post. ty

Beans
    Distro

Bothi - did you follow my steps above exactly? Also, have to ask the obvious: have you tried hitting Fn-F2 to turn the wireless device on?

Beans

yep and yep! i also tried windows, the wireless controller works perfectly there...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

You'll want to make sure you're selecting the right driver:

\Wlan_NE785H_GE112H-V7_7_0_377_XP\ndis5x

Not the ndis5x64 directory

When doing this you can also check the Log Viewer, you should be seeing something under messages that will give you a clue what's going on.

Beans

Swapped to UNR. Worked perfectly on the first try. Used your guid CptSaltyJack (weird name btw )Guess it was an xubuntu issue, despite the fact, that it shouldnt be.
    Any progress on gettin the multitouch pad working?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
    Great news, got wireless working perfectly, even with WPA/WPA2 encryption

Here's how...
    Thank you very much, CaptSaltyJack. I just got a 1001P as well and I had a hard enough time just making a bootable flash drive. After that, I thought wireless was going to be a struggle. I still have to test it out a bit more, but right now its working perfectly with my school's wi-fi. Running Xubuntu 9.10.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
    Now, if I could only get the built-in microphone working, and the multi-touch capability in the touchpad! Oh, and the brightness controls are completely whacked, too, they don't work properly and Ubuntu doesn't memorize the way you have your brightness set.
    Agreed. Would be really nice to have all that working. But those are unfortunate annoyances, whereas wireless is absolutely essential on a netbook!

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Linux BASHer; February 5th, 2010 at 12:53 AM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast