Thread: ubuntu poor power management

Beans

ubuntu poor power management

hello, ubuntu forums!
    yes, i googled, yes i tryed searching forums, but its either that i failed to do so or that i lack way too much knowledge that i'm unable to recognize a solution if i came across one. so i need help

i've used windows before i tryed out ubuntu a year and a half ago. thing is i like ubuntu much more then windows, but since i'm on laptop atm and i'm going to buy new laptop soon, unless i find a solution that is equal or better then windows, i'll have to switch back to it

problem is with laptop battery life. windows have many profiles that, when running on battery, help user get the most out of it. however, on ubuntu i didnt find anything as good as windows. biggest problem imo is the cpu - it doesnt downclock like on windows, instead my dualcore keeps running both cores at maximum clock and that results in much shorter bettery life.
    now i know linux can be optimized much better then windows can but to do so you need to know how to do that and i obviously lack any knowledge... i also must say i'm surprised that there arn't any solutions that could help ignorant users like me optimize the system like they would like to...

I appreciate any help anyone here provides but pls keep in mind if you attempt to help me, you'll have to explain more then you would to average linux user as i know very little. also, i apologize if i posted against the rules or in wrong forum...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: ubuntu poor power management

I actually have the same problem, the power management isn't great, it's good. I did try installing programs other than the default power-manager but didn't help that much.

To be extremely honest though, I don't carry my laptop that often around so it's always running on AC power.
    Jordan Open Source Association | E-mail
    Macbook (late 2008) - 2.4Ghz Core2Duo - 4GB RAM - nVidia 9400 - 250GB HDD

Beans

KDE has much better power management than gnome.
    Just install kde on ubuntu or use kubuntu if you haven't istalled ubuntu yet.
    Although on my computer when my battery gets very low and i'm logged on in kde and I put it in sleep mode it will cone back on by it self but gnomes power management sucks, so there is definetly needs to be better power management especially since more laptop are sold than desktops.
    You shold try a kubuntu live cd though because it relly does have better power management.
    Last edited by Gryphen; February 15th, 2010 at 08:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphen View Post
    Although on my computer when my battery gets very low and i'm logged on in kde and I put it in sleep mode it will cone back on by it self but gnomes power management sucks, so there is definetly needs to be better power management especially since more laptop are sold than desktops.
    You shold try a kubuntu live cd though because it relly does have better power management.
    I wish I could use KDE but sadly my laptop won't run smoothly. Not enough specs.

Beans

I'm running an aspire one netbook on xubuntu which is pretty low resource usage, about like netbook remix, but with a "real" desktop. The operating system takes about 150 MB. The apps are more full featured and fancy than UNR , but you can change them to your favorites.

I'm happy with the Xfce power manager. I feel I'm getting about the same battery life as with windows. I can set it to prefer power savings over performance in battery mode. It goes to sleep after 15 minutes when I leave it alone and works fine when waking from sleep and when I close and open the lid. I can set it to complain at 5% remaining to remind me to plug it in. My worst "problem" is that it makes a low battery warning at 30% when it has only 2 hours remaining, lol.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by saif_held
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gryphen

I wish I could use KDE but sadly my laptop won't run smoothly. Not enough specs.
    You can turn off kwin composing in kde so it's not as resource heavy.

I think someone needs to make a good power manager that can run on any desktop.
    Last edited by Gryphen; February 15th, 2010 at 08:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphen View Post
    You can turn off kwin composing in kde so it's not as resource heavy.

I think someone needs to make a good power manager that can run on any desktop.
    Thanks for the tip, might give it a shot when I got the time.