Thread: ath9k Question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question ath9k Question

I'm looking into changing some of the settings for my Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express); how would I even go about starting to do this? Any help would be very appreciated!

Oh, and, if anyone can explain to me why iwconfig would show me a bitrate of 0mbs almost all the time, even when I'm on the Internet and downloading things at blazing speeds, I'd appreciate it.
    Asus EeePC 1005HA: ElementaryOS Luna | Asus X501A: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu GNOME 14.10 Utopic Unicorn | Apple iMac G4: Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin | LG Optimus F3: Stock v7 | Nexus 10 Cyanogenmod 11

Beans

Re: ath9k Question

hello
    I can direct you to info about the second part of your post as I've been researching this just recently. Check out this: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12943
    Apparently it's just a limitation of the wireless extensions and having briefly read over what they've had to say, it seems like you pretty much can't get a reliable link speed reading (correct me if I'm wrong).

As for the first part of your question, I'm not all that sure myself. But it may help others who know more about this sort of thing if you describe what kind of settings you want to change. When it comes to fiddling with 802.11n settings, I think your best bet would be to check out this page: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Documentation/iw
    If you don't have iw installed on your system, you can get it from synaptic or by typing sudo apt-get install iw into the terminal.

Hope that helps a bit!

Jason

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ath9k Question

Thanks for the response, Jason; I thought this thread had fallen into the abyss like so many others! Unfortunately, the kernel bugzilla thread says its "been resolved" when obviously it hasn't, but that's not a surprise; I often see bugs marked as "resolved" when they are far from it.

iw looks like what I'm looking for, but now early-onset senility makes me unable to remember what I wanted to set and why...
    Asus EeePC 1005HA: ElementaryOS Luna | Asus X501A: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu GNOME 14.10 Utopic Unicorn | Apple iMac G4: Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin | LG Optimus F3: Stock v7 | Nexus 10 Cyanogenmod 11