Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lenovo G560 or Lenovo G460

Beans

Re: Lenovo G560 or Lenovo G460

Hi Stratok,

I have been looking at this thread since my laptop has the same problem.
    And when I repeat the things you said I was able to make the headphone jack working but again the internal mic stopped working. When I use hda analyzer and put the setting you said it started working. but the setting go away after reboot..

In this link

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1618138

Some guy has fixed the error with hda analyzer and put it in a one line command using a tool called "hda-verb"

I am not able to do it myself and get it to work. But I think you can try.
    If you have succeeded please tell us too.

Nilanka

Beans

Hi Everyone,

I fixed the sound problem by adding few lines to the /etc/rc.local file

Now the mic-jack and the internal mic work even after reboot. Used the method used in the thread I posted earlier (hda-verb tool)

My rc.local file looks like this now: If some one can tell if there's a better way that adding this to rc.local file please tell me.

#!/bin/sh -e
    #
    # rc.local
    #
    # This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
    # Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
    # value on error.
    #
    # In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
    # bits.
    #
    # By default this script does nothing.

/usr/local/bin/hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D1 0x14 SET_CONNECT_SEL 0
    /usr/local/bin/hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D1 0x17 SET_CONNECT_SEL 0
    /usr/local/bin/hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D1 0x17 SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 3
    exit 0

Beans

That solution helped me, until there was another alsa update yesterday. Today I hear sound just from speakerboxes with the headphones plugged in...
    Does any one have a hint how to solve that issue?

thanks,
    xenico

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Just bought mine over the weekend. Really really pleased so far.

It came with Win7 pre-installed. Took a full 2 mins or so to boot up and about 1 full minute to shut down. During my "brief" Win7 experience, I tried to launch Internet Explorer. I clicked the icon only to be presented with a round spinning icon. I clicked several times - no luck. About 2 minutes later, 6 I.E. windows suddenly appeared. So much for a dual boot system... I just got out my Xubuntu install disk and wiped the damned thing!!

Only quirks I noticed after install were black screen (even though live CD worked great). So I promptly reinstalled again but this time made sure I was hard-wired to the internet so updates can be downloaded during install.

After that, everything worked great. Wireless. DVD burner. Track pad with two-finger scrolling. Sound input/output (inc. headphone jack). Web cam. Only thing I haven't tried yet is the sound on the HDMI output (as mentioned by other poster).

So I'm not sure if it's because I installed Xubuntu rather than full-blown Ubuntu but I haven't experienced any of the other issues mentioned on this thread.

On another note... I installed Virtual Box with WinXP (occasionally I have to go to the dark side for programming purposes). With the base 2 gig of ram, it runs WinXP in VB far faster than it did Win7 natively.

Overall, I am EXTREMELY pleased with the G560 and would highly recommend one to anyone planning to get a low-cost but fast linux laptop. I ordered a full 8GB of ram which should arrive tomorrow by UPS. So next step will be to see how upgrading goes.

Beans

Hi Xenio, I am using a fully updates kubuntu 10.10 version with alsa verion 1.0.23+dfsg-1ubuntu4 (synaptic says) The solution helped me and my headphone jack and external mic works even now.

Beans

Hi, well, first of all, i'm new with all this linux stuff. I tried Ubuntu 10.10 32bits on my lenovo g560. Everything was perfect, in order to have wifi i had upgrade drivers, and that was all. My first problem was with the sound, which i repaired reading one of the answers below. But then i started getting error messages every time i uninstalled or installed new programs. These errors where always related to the same file, i don't remember it's exact name, I think it was linux conexant (sth related to audio drivers). So i read that some people removed the drivers and then installed them again in order to solve the problem, so to rom i decided to reinstall the whole thing. When i removed it i had no more errors, even emesene started working (it couldn't connect before). A user had the same experience so far. The problem was reinstalling the sound drivers again. I get errors in the same step always. The worst thing is that i don't know which is exactly the name of my sound car. On windows seven, through aida64, i got conexant cx20585 or intel high definition audio... but i cannot make this thing work again. I'm thinking of format... maybe stay with windows seven and XP as a second option, because my linux experience with this notebook was terrible... maybe i should try my old desktop pc. (before trying this ubuntu 10.10 x32bits, i tried open suse 64bits, and i had problems with wifi.)
    The guide I used is this:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449
    Maybe it'll help someone else, i know it's a good guide, but I keep getting errors every time i try with sth different.

My other problem is that i have to use the same command always that i turn on my notebook using the battery in order to get wifi working well:
    sudo iwconfig eth1 power off

I only want to make sound work again, so if someone know for other possible solution, please let me know.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nilankaraja View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I fixed the sound problem by adding few lines to the /etc/rc.local file

Now the mic-jack and the internal mic work even after reboot. Used the method used in the thread I posted earlier (hda-verb tool)

My rc.local file looks like this now: If some one can tell if there's a better way that adding this to rc.local file please tell me.

#!/bin/sh -e
    #
    # rc.local
    #
    # This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
    # Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
    # value on error.
    #
    # In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
    # bits.
    #
    # By default this script does nothing.

/usr/local/bin/hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D1 0x14 SET_CONNECT_SEL 0
    /usr/local/bin/hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D1 0x17 SET_CONNECT_SEL 0
    /usr/local/bin/hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D1 0x17 SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 3
    exit 0
    try:
    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D1 0x14 SET_CONNECT_SEL 0
    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D1 0x17 SET_CONNECT_SEL 0
    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D1 0x17 SET_AMP_GAIN_MUTE 0xb003
    instead!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by f3dja View Post
    try:
    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D1 0x14 SET_CONNECT_SEL 0
    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D1 0x17 SET_CONNECT_SEL 0
    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D1 0x17 SET_AMP_GAIN_MUTE 0xb003
    instead!
    Hi f3dja,

My lenovo g460 sound works fine with no problems with current changes. Can you please tell me what's the advantage of adding the above lines? I see only the last line is different.
    Thank you.

Beans

Well, the internal mic-in of my g560 was not working... About 1 year ago I applied the headfon jack fix (options snd-hda-intel model=ideapad to alsa-base.conf); I can't remember if the mic-in was working back then... but now (ubuntu 10.10) it did not work! I googled and found this post; i ran the hda-analyzer (http://www.alsa-project.org/hda-analyzer.py) and realized that the settings proposed by Stratok fixed the problem; however these settings were lost after reboot. I tried your fix; however the last line (hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D1 0x17 SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 3) did not do anything on my system. Changing the line to (hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D1 0x17 SET_AMP_GAIN_MUTE 0xb003) did the trick for me since it enabled the mic "boost". (It sets the "val" sliders in node0x17 to 3). Fedja

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation Re: Lenovo G560 or Lenovo G460

Cannot find it now, but saw a couple of months ago somewhere that the Lenovo may use any of several audio chipsets. Mine in particular uses the
    Code:
    conexant cx 20585 and the Intel IbexPeak hdmi.
    I ran the previous stuff and the jack is not working properly in ubuntu, but works fine in win7.

-------- edit ------------

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Di...ver/m-p/307728 reveals this:

Code:
    Add to end of file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf the follow line:

options snd-hda-intel model=thinkpad

Not certain why it worked this time and not previously, but is working. Thanks
    Last edited by pneaveill; August 6th, 2011 at 08:24 PM.
    Fellow traveler on the path to ubuntu.
    Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12