Thread: Can't remove "virtual" icon from Desktop Folder view

Beans

Can't remove "virtual" icon from Desktop Folder view

I'm on Kubuntu 9.10, with KDE desktop. On my screen, there is a "Desktop Folder"
    inset. In the inset there is an icon "KTorrent" which I previously found under KMenu/Applications/Internet and selected "Add to Desktop". It appeared on the edge
    of my screen, outside the "Desktop Folder" inset. So I dragged and dropped it onto
    the "Desktop Folder". When I mouse over it, it doesn't light up. Clicking on it does
    nothing. There's nothing in the ~/Desktop folder to represent it. It's some kind of
    virtual object. When I copy Ktorrent.desktop file from /usr/share/applications
    /kde4/ktorrent.desktop to ~/Desktop, *another* KTorrent icon appears
    with a "!" superimposed on it. Mousing over the new icon seems to work, but I don't
    think what I did is the approved method of getting the icon in the "Desktop Folder" view.

1. How do I get rid of the "!" on the KTorrent icon?
    2. How was I supposed to add KTorrent icon to the Folder View?
    3. How do I get rid of the "Virtual" , i.e. inert, KTorrent icon from the Folder View?

Stuart

Beans

Re: Can't remove "virtual" icon from Desktop Folder view

I'm trying to reproduce this but I don't get an option to Add to Desktop when right-clicking a menu entry - only Add to Favorites.

Anyway, could the icon simply be *behind* the (translucent) folder view?

As for the "best practice" of creating a launcher for an application, I believe that's right-clicking the folder view space, then Create New -> Link to Application.

Beans

Re: Can't remove "virtual" icon from Desktop Folder view

Thank You sir, you are absolutely correct - the icon is BEHIND the translucent Folder
    View. I've never worked with this plasma stuff before - neither YellowDog, Redhat, Fedora,
    Irix or Solaris has anything like it. I can delete the errant icon after moving the Folder
    View out of the way. And Your method of adding an icon to the Folder View not only
    works, but the added icon does not have a "!" on it. Regards,
    Stuart