Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some assistance with writing a guide for building the git vlc under Ubuntu?

Beans

Some assistance with writing a guide for building the git vlc under Ubuntu?

================================================== =========================
    Please do not follow the information in this early version. The guide is
    now published in 'Tutorials and Tips' at this address:

Howto: Build the development version of vlc under Ubuntu
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1398119

================================================== =========================

I am in the process of writing a guide that will illustrate how to compile the git vlc under Ubuntu. I am putting a very early version of this guide here as a 'work in progress' mostly so I can get both feedback and assistance on certain elements of the guide, in particular the compilation under 64bit systems as I do not have access to such a system. I would love people to experiment with this work and suggest improvements, bearing in mind that this guide is not complete and may fail completely on some systems. When work is complete this thread will be locked and marked as outdated, the full guide will subsequently appear in the 'Tutorials and Tips' section hopefully in April.

+-------------- 'Working version' of Guide Below -------------------+

Howto: Build the development version of vlc under Ubuntu

This guide details how to install the development version of vlc using the 32bit version of Ubuntu's Karmic Koala. I intend to update the guide with each new release of Ubuntu and hopefully also at some stage incorporate a section devoted to the needs of 64bit Ubuntu.

Can I state clearly at the outset that there is absolutely no need for the average Ubuntu user to compile this development version of vlc and in fact I believe that 99% of Ubuntu users will be more than happy with the release version from either the Ubuntu Repository or from one of the several PPAs that package vlc so nicely. For those of you happy to be a little closer to the bleeding edge please read on...

===========================
    Some Preparation...

There are many steps to take before actually laying hands on the source code for the development version of vlc and these steps are best taken strictly in sequence. Let me emphasize at the beginning that this guide at this stage is for the 32bit Karmic Koala, this will change when the 32bit Lucid Lynx is released.

Basic Tools...

The first steps are to install some compiling and installation software as well as the necessary software to access both subversion and git repositories:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion git-core checkinstall automake
    The next step is to enable the Medibuntu repository:

Medibuntu...

Some useful material is contained in the Medibuntu Repository and this can be accessed as follows, we also install libdvdcss and its development library to enable playback of commercial dvds as well as the w32codecs to allow playback of some windows media. The following is a single command:

Code:
    sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list \
    --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list &&
    sudo apt-get -q update &&
    sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring &&
    sudo apt-get -q update &&
    sudo apt-get install -y libdvdcss-dev w32codecs
    Next to download and compile the latest x264 libraries:

x264...

The x264 libraries allow encoding to the h264 format. The standard technique of compiling x264 and linking statically with --with-x264-tree=PATH failed at times for me so I have borrowed the following technique Slackware which installs a local copy of x264 to be linked statically by vlc:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install yasm
    $ mkdir -v $HOME/vlc_build && cd $HOME/vlc_build
    $ git clone git://git.videolan.org/x264.git
    $ cd $HOME/vlc_build/x264
    $ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps/usr
    $ make && make install
    $ make distclean
    The x264 libraries are being developed at an alarming pace and I would advise you to come back here every week or so and issue the command git pull from $HOME/vlc_build/x264 and the recompile and reinstall to get the latest version of x264. Next to use a similar technique with FFmpeg:

FFmpeg...

One of the most fundamental parts of the preparation for compiling the development version of vlc is compiling an up to date version of libavcodec, which is part of FFmpeg, for vlc usage. I demonstrate here a technique borrowed from Slackware where vlc is linked statically to a slightly odd looking FFmpeg installation, trust me it works...

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install libfaac-dev libfaad-dev libmp3lame-dev libopencore-amrnb-dev \
    	libopencore-amrwb-dev zlib1g-dev
    $ cd $HOME/vlc_build
    $ svn checkout svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/trunk ffmpeg
    $ cd $HOME/vlc_build/ffmpeg
    $ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps/usr \
    	      --enable-gpl \
                  --enable-version3 \
                  --enable-nonfree \
                  --enable-postproc \
                  --enable-pthreads \
                  --enable-libfaac \
                  --enable-libfaad \
                  --enable-libmp3lame \
                  --enable-libopencore-amrnb \
                  --enable-libopencore-amrwb \
                  --disable-ffmpeg \
                  --disable-ffplay \
                  --disable-ffserver \
                  --disable-doc
    $ make && make install-libs install-headers
    $ make distclean
    FFmpeg is also being developed at an alarming pace and I would advise that you return every week or so to issue the command svn up from $HOME/vlc_build/ffmpeg and then recompile and reinstall to get the latest version of FFmpeg. Next to compile the latest Live555 libraries:

Live555...

The latest Live555 libraries are needed as vlc will use these to read media streams. The following will remove the repository live555 libraries which are quite dated and then download, compile and install the newest libraries.

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get remove liblivemedia-dev
    $ cd $HOME
    $ wget http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/public/live555-latest.tar.gz
    $ tar xvf live555-latest.tar.gz
    $ cd live
    $ ./genMakefiles linux
    $ make
    $ sudo mv -v $HOME/live /usr/lib
    The live555 libraries are updated every 2 months or so and I would suggest you download, compile and install the newest libraries regularly. Simply remove /usr/lib/live and all of its contents and repeat the process above.

Development Files...

There are about 60megs of additional development files required to successfully build vlc and give it greatly increased functionality:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libqt4-dev libhal-dev liblua5.1-0-dev libdvdread-dev \
    libtag1-dev libmad0-dev libdvbpsi5-dev liba52-0.7.4-dev libv4l-dev libcdio-dev \
    libvcdinfo-dev libfribidi-dev libfluidsynth-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libschroedinger-dev \
    libvorbis-dev libspeex-dev libgcrypt11-dev libcddb2-dev libproxy-dev libnotify-dev \
    libebml-dev libmpcdec-dev libcaca-dev libaa1-dev libmatroska-dev xulrunner-dev \
    libasound2-dev libass-dev libavahi-client-dev libdca-dev libdvdnav-dev libfaad-dev \
    libflac-dev libfreetype6-dev libggi2-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglib2.0-0 libgnutls-dev \
    libid3tag0-dev libjack-dev liblircclient-dev libmodplug-dev libncursesw5-dev \
    libogg-dev libpng12-dev libpulse-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libshout3-dev \
    libsmbclient-dev libsvga1-dev libsysfs-dev libtar-dev libtwolame-dev libudev-dev \
    libupnp3-dev libx11-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxext-dev libxml2-dev libxpm-dev \
    libxt-dev libxv-dev libxcb-shm0-dev libxcb-xvmc0-dev libx11-xcb-dev \
    libmtp-dev libsqlite3-dev libgnomevfs2-dev librsvg2-dev libzvbi-dev libxcb-randr0-dev \
    liboggkate-dev libkate-dev libpango1.0-dev libcairo2-dev
    Feel free to modify these libraries and add your own according to your own requirements, please suggest additions to this list and I will happily test and incorporate them.

A few extras...

There are couple of extra libraries that are not actually available in the Ubuntu repository. The first is libtiger which is useful for rendering more ornate Kate streams:

Code:
    $ cd $HOME/vlc_build
    $ wget http://libtiger.googlecode.com/files/libtiger-0.3.3.tar.gz
    $ tar xvf libtiger-0.3.3.tar.gz
    $ cd libtiger-0.3.3
    $ ./configure
    $ make
    $ sudo checkinstall --pakdir "$HOME/Desktop" --backup=no --deldoc=yes \
                        --pkgname libtiger --pkgversion "0.3.3" --deldesc=yes \
                        --delspec=yes --default
    $ make distclean
    and the second is my old friend goom which has also somehow missed a place with Ubuntu:

Code:
    $ cd $HOME/vlc_build
    $ wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/goom/goom-2k4-0-src.tar.gz
    $ tar xvf goom-2k4-0-src.tar.gz
    $ cd goom2k4-0
    $ ./configure
    $ make
                        --pkgname goom --pkgversion "2k4-0" --deldesc=yes \
                        --delspec=yes --default
    $ make distclean
    Neither of these libraries require further ./configure options in vlc, they will both be picked up and utilised automagically. Now to finally come to grips with the vlc source code:

Building vlc......

Now to download and build the git vlc. The tricky bit of sed work, neatly reversed at the end of the build process, simply allows Ubuntu to see an icon on the desktop menu.

Code:
    $ cd $HOME/vlc_build
    $ git clone git://git.videolan.org/vlc.git --depth 1
    $ cd vlc
    $ ./bootstrap
    $ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps/usr/lib/pkgconfig"
    $ sed -i_bak 's/Icon=vlc/Icon\=\/usr\/local\/share\/vlc\/vlc48x48\.png/' \
           share/applications/vlc.desktop
    $ ./configure --enable-loader \
    	      --with-live555-tree=/usr/lib/live \
                  --enable-real \
                  --enable-realrtsp \
                  --enable-aa \
                  --enable-snapshot \
                  --enable-merge-ffmpeg 
    $ make
                        --pkgname vlc --pkgversion "1.1.0-`date +%Y%m%d`" \
                        --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --default
    $ make distclean
    $ mv -v share/applications/vlc.desktop_bak share/applications/vlc.desktop
    $ sudo ldconfig
    This process can take a long time, depending on the speed of your connection to the git repository and the processing speed of your computer when compiling but eventually you will have a copy of the development version of this great media player. It remains then to return to the vlc source code from time to time to run the command git pull and then recompile and reinstall to receive the latest additions and corrections to this great media player. And remember the most important thing: Have Fun!!

==========================
    Some Resources...
    ==========================

• The VideoLan Forums: The definitve place to go to with queries and problems related to vlc. ALso announcements of new features, new versions etc.
    • Welcome to VideoLAN's Wiki: 483 articles on many areas related to vlc as well as other software hosted by VideoLan such as the x264 encoder and the new VideoLAN Movie Creator (vlmc).
    • The vlc SlackBuild of Eric Hameleers: An incredible installation script for vlc from the world of Slackware. I have pillaged many ideas from this script for which I thank Eric very, very much.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andrew.46; February 6th, 2010 at 09:45 PM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Re: Some assistance with writing a guide for building the git vlc under Ubuntu?

On a relatively fresh install of Lucid in a virtual machine, I get the following. Maybe it will help you :
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get build-dep vlc
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      autotools-dev build-essential cvs debhelper dh-buildinfo diffstat dpkg-dev
      fakeroot g++ g++-4.4 gettext html2text intltool-debian liba52-0.7.4
      liba52-0.7.4-dev libaa1-dev libasound2-dev libass-dev libass4 libatk1.0-dev
      libaudio-dev libaudio2 libaudiofile-dev libavahi-client-dev
      libavahi-common-dev libavc1394-dev libavcodec-dev libavcodec52
      libavformat-dev libavformat52 libavutil-dev libavutil49 libcaca-dev
      libcairo2-dev libcddb2 libcddb2-dev libcdio-dev libcdio7 libdbus-1-dev
      libdbus-glib-1-dev libdca-dev libdca0 libdirectfb-dev libdirectfb-extra
      libdvbpsi5 libdvbpsi5-dev libdvdnav-dev libdvdnav4 libdvdread-dev
      libdvdread4 libebml-dev libebml0 libenca-dev libenca0 libesd0-dev
      libexpat1-dev libfaad-dev libfaad2 libflac-dev libfontconfig1-dev
      libfreetype6-dev libfribidi-dev libgcrypt11-dev libggi-target-x libggi2
      libggi2-dev libggimisc2 libggimisc2-dev libgii1 libgii1-dev libgii1-target-x
      libgl1-mesa-dev libglib2.0-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgnutls-dev
      libgpg-error-dev libgsm1 libgtk2.0-dev libhal-dev libice-dev libid3tag0
      libid3tag0-dev libiso9660-5 libiso9660-7 libiso9660-dev libjack-dev libjack0
      libjpeg62-dev liblircclient-dev liblivemedia-dev libltdl-dev liblua5.1-0
      liblua5.1-0-dev libmad0 libmad0-dev libmail-sendmail-perl libmatroska-dev
      libmatroska0 libmodplug-dev libmodplug0c2 libmpcdec-dev libmpcdec3
      libmpeg2-4 libmpeg2-4-dev libmysqlclient16 libncurses5-dev libncursesw5-dev
      libnotify-dev libnspr4-dev libnss3-dev libogg-dev liboil0.3-dev
      libpango1.0-dev libphonon4 libpixman-1-dev libpng12-dev libpostproc-dev
      libpostproc51 libpthread-stubs0 libpthread-stubs0-dev libpulse-dev
      libqt4-assistant libqt4-dbus libqt4-designer libqt4-dev libqt4-help
      libqt4-multimedia libqt4-network libqt4-opengl libqt4-opengl-dev
      libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script libqt4-scripttools libqt4-sql
      libqt4-sql-mysql libqt4-svg libqt4-test libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml
      libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtcore4 libqtgui4 libraw1394-dev libreadline-dev
      libreadline6-dev librsvg2-dev libschroedinger-1.0-0 libschroedinger-dev
      libsdl-image1.2 libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libshout3-dev
      libslang2-dev libsm-dev libsmbclient-dev libspeex-dev libstdc++6-4.4-dev
      libsvga1 libsvga1-dev libswscale-dev libswscale0 libsys-hostname-long-perl
      libsysfs-dev libtag1-dev libtar libtar-dev libtasn1-3-dev libtheora-dev
      libtiff4-dev libtiffxx0c2 libtool libtwolame-dev libtwolame0 libudev-dev
      libupnp3 libupnp3-dev libv4l-dev libvcdinfo-dev libvcdinfo0 libvorbis-dev
      libx11-dev libx264-67 libx264-dev libxau-dev libxcb-keysyms1
      libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-render-util0-dev libxcb-render0-dev libxcb1-dev
      libxcomposite-dev libxcursor-dev libxdamage-dev libxdmcp-dev libxext-dev
      libxfixes-dev libxft-dev libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxml2-dev libxpm-dev
      libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libxt-dev libxv-dev libxxf86dga-dev
      libxxf86vm-dev mesa-common-dev mysql-common nasm patch po-debconf qt4-qmake
      quilt x11proto-composite-dev x11proto-core-dev x11proto-damage-dev
      x11proto-fixes-dev x11proto-input-dev x11proto-kb-dev x11proto-randr-dev
      x11proto-render-dev x11proto-video-dev x11proto-xext-dev
      x11proto-xf86dga-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev
      xtrans-dev xulrunner-1.9.1-dev xulrunner-dev yasm zlib1g-dev
    0 upgraded, 231 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Beans

Hi Temujin,

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    On a relatively fresh install of Lucid in a virtual machine, I get the following. Maybe it will help you
    Thanks for that . In fact the guide when the rough edges have been knocked off will initially be based on the Lucid Lynx, although only aiming for Karmic Koala at the moment.

Andrew

Beans

I've only worked on getting 1.0.5 going on lucid, but taking those .deps and willowing down the list posted by Temüjin looks like this. ( there still may be some redundancies and or missing. - you'd be surprised by what just libqt4-dev supplies

The build deps are ATM the same for karmic and lucid

Put in alpha. order otherwise I tend to get lost very quickly...
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev liba52-0.7.4-dev libass-dev \
    libavc1394-dev libcddb2-dev libcdio-dev libdca-dev libdvbpsi5-dev \
    libdvdnav-dev libdvdread-dev libebml-dev libenca-dev libflac-dev \
    libfluidsynth-dev libfribidi-dev libgcrypt11-dev libggi2-dev libggi-target-x  \
    libggimisc2-dev libgii1-dev libgnomevfs2-dev libgnutls-dev libhal-dev libmad0-dev \
    libid3tag0-dev libiso9660-dev libjack-dev liblircclient-dev liblua5.1-0-dev  \
    libmatroska-dev libmodplug-dev libmpcdec-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmtp-dev \
    libmysqlclient16 libncursesw5-dev libnotify-dev libogg-dev libproxy-dev \
    libpulse-dev libqt4-dev libqt4-sql-mysql libraw1394-dev librsvg2-dev \
    libschroedinger-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libshout3-dev libsmbclient-dev  \
    libspeex-dev libsqlite3-dev libsvga1-dev libtag1-dev libtar-dev \
    libtheora-dev libtiff4-dev libtwolame-dev libudev-dev libupnp3-dev \
    libv4l-dev libvcdinfo-dev libvorbis-dev libX11-xcb-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev \
    libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-shm0-dev libxcb-shape0-dev libxcb-xvmc0-dev \
    libxcb-xv0-dev libxcb-xfixes0-dev libxml2-dev libxpm-dev libxv-dev libxxf86dga-dev  \
    libzvbi-dev mysql-common x11proto-video-dev x11proto-xf86dga-dev xulrunner-dev
    I've found that suggesting dpkg-dev for any build tends to take care of most of the needed build tools ( if so, maybe in the orig. build deps.., includes build-essential among other things

1.1 is going more to autodetect and enabled by default so the config is clearly getting smaller, ( on an individual level may be more reason to disable unneeded modules than anything else

Probably useful to review ./configure --help from time to time for changes, additions, ect.

I wonder about this
    --enable-run-as-root
    While some people may need for certain setups, most won't. Is there any issues that could arise by needlessly running vlc as root?
    (considering many have this 'fascination' with running apps as root

This I've never seen in 1.0.X - curious, do you now what it's about?
    --enable-merge-ffmpeg

In addition to or in lieu of --enable-release may be worth exploring if there is any advantage to
    --with-tuning=native

Glad to see your proceeding, should be good - as long as users understand some things may break or builds/installs may fail from time to time

Ex. - For a couple of days this week 1.1 would build fine, but wouldn't fully install (though it could be used). Should have been resolved by now, so patience may be a build dep of sorts
    Last edited by mc4man; January 30th, 2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: removed some more redundant deps

Beans

Hi mc4man,

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    I wonder about this
    --enable-run-as-root
    While some people may need for certain setups, most won't. Is there any issues that could arise by needlessly running vlc as root?
    Good point, this is a carry-over from installing vlc on my other distro...

This I've never seen in 1.0.X - curious, do you now what it's about?
    --enable-merge-ffmpeg
    More efficient compiling and runtime performance:

http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermai...er/066759.html

Andrew

Beans

Well I'll give it a run exactly as posted (except root), shouldn't take to long. let you now if any issus, (not expecting any

Beans

Compiling now on x86_64 (albeit on arch but most will be the same), I'll edit if there are any issues.

Also it may be helpful to point out that VLC will be installed /usr/local in case anyone looks for it. Might I suggest you add in
    Code:
    --prefix=/usr/local
    or
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /opt/vlc
    --prefix=/opt/vlc

This way the git version can coincide with the repo version

edit I: oops forgot to compile ffmpeg with pic
    Last edited by SuperSonic4; January 30th, 2010 at 01:19 PM.

Beans

Hi mc4man,

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Well I'll give it a run exactly as posted (except root), shouldn't take to long. let you now if any issus, (not expecting any
    Thanks very much for that, I am not on such sure ground with vlc as MPlayer but I learn fast .

Andrew

Beans

Hi SuperSonic,

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic4 View Post
    Compiling now on x86_64 (albeit on arch but most will be the same), I'll edit if there are any issues.
    Excellent . I do not have a 64bit system to test and I know the 64bit vlc can present a few problems especially linking with FFmpeg.

Andrew

Beans

I do remember and see in this post that for 64 bit both x264 and ffmpeg needed fPIC
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=fPIC&page=3 #23

Edit:
    all went well with the build, will give this git a test later, (this was done on karmic
    As far as config, used what you posted (almost..)
    The --enable-dvdread isn't needed though doesn't hurt (dvdread and dvnav modules will be built anyway
    ./configure --enable-loader --with-live555-tree=/usr/lib/live --enable-real --enable-realrtsp --enable-snapshot --enable-release --enable-merge-ffmpeg --enable-aa --with-tuning=native
    Enabled modules: a52tofloat32 aa access_alsa access_dv access_gnomevfs access_jack access_mmap access_oss access_output_shout access_realrtsp access_smb alsa aout_sdl atmo audioscrobbler avcodec bonjour caca cdda dbus dc1394 dirac dmo dtstofloat32 dvb dvb dvdnav dvdread dynamicoverlay fb flac fluidsynth freetype globalhotkeys gnutls inhibit jack kate libass libmpeg2 live555 mediadirs mkv mod motion mpc mpgatofixed32 mtp mux_ogg mux_ts notify ogg oldhttp oldrc oldtelnet osd_parser osdmenu oss panoramix png postproc pulse qt4 realvideo remoteosd schroedinger screensaver sdl_image signals skins2 snapshot speex sqlite stream_out_raop svg swscale taglib telepathy telx theora ts twolame udev unzip upnp_intel v4l2 vcd visual vorbis vout_sdl x264 xcb_apps xcb_glx xcb_screen xcb_window xcb_x11 xcb_xv xdg_screensaver xml zip
    Well done as usual
    Last edited by mc4man; January 30th, 2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: good build - karmic

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast