Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Installing Ubuntu on iPad - is possible?

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu on iPad - is possible?

Quote Originally Posted by MichealH View Post
    Tiny Bit Harsh!

It could be possible If the yet-to-be-released Gnome 3 will support Touch Screen also All the stuff will have no Linux drivers maybe and so you wouldn't be able to do it.
    Have you ever heard of bluetooth keyboards? and gnome 4 and kde support touchscreen

Beans

gnome4 ? :LOL:
    Touchscreen mode was available at least from GTK 2.10
    ... so what are You people talking about?
    Few versions ago Gnome have had option to automatically show GOK when clicking on text input fields.

...jesus

Maybe you should visit Gnome page or read some docs before You start to write such bullshits. (sorry, but that's exactly what is happening here)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I have a friend who has successfully done it. He has worked on it for a while and has Ubuntu 10.04 running on his iPad, the keyboard does not work, but he uses a keyboard anyway. I will ask him and get back to you on how he did it.

Beans

Well, I on't think ubuntu has the money to make it's own tablet and there wouldn't be enough clients for another brand's ubuntu tablet, so no.

Beans

I run Ubuntu on my android tablet. Just because.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Re: Installing Ubuntu on iPad - is possible?

Remote into a machine/Vm running Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Okay, it is definitely a possibility. At this point it is something you would have setup on your own. The Ipad is being broken down to work with Linux/Android systems. It is just a matter of time before the right exploits come into play. If Ubuntu does not find it's way there are other Linux OS's that people tinker with. Backtrack gained ARM support and if someone could get that on an Ipad it would be amazing. I think it is stupid people have to waste time arguing about pointless things instead of answering a post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Mjchopperboy View Post
    Well, I on't think ubuntu has the money to make it's own tablet and there wouldn't be enough clients for another brand's ubuntu tablet, so no.
    KDE, which is a not-for-profit organisation, released a tablet recently. The hardware is made by another company, but even big consumer electronics companies release products that have actually been designed and manufactured by others.

If KDE can do it, so can Canonical.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345