Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Linux makes you more trackable?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Using Linux makes you more trackable?

Maybe this is common sense for some of you, but I found it quite interesting. According to EFF's new project, websites can track you (your computer) without cookies using only your browser configuration (that's obvious). But not known to me, they can delve as deep as knowing what fonts you have and what plugins you're running! For my test, this was the downfall that made my computer uniquely-identifiable among the 150,000 something they have tested so far. Using Linux thus makes you more-easily tracked as you are more likely have an obscure configuration.

The project is called Panopticlick and is run by digital rights advocacy group EFF.
    ndrw.me | Twitter
    Ubuntu + Vista | Dell Vostro 1500 | C2D 1.4GHz | 2GB | 120GB | nVidia 8400m GS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Using Linux makes you more trackable?

Yeah, I just read that earlier today. Although, just by disabling Javascript I went from having a unique configuration out of the 150,000+ people it's recorded to being one of about 900 other people with my exact same configuration.

Although, since that article is more likely to be read by tech oriented people and tech oriented people are more like to run Linux than a sample from the general population. Running Linux will make your configuration more unique compared with the rest of the web's population than what that test would lead you to believe.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.5GHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 260 w/896MB DDR3 @ 655MHz
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (4x 2GB) DDR3 2000
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (2x fake RAID0)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Well, I just tried it on an XP/Firefox machine and it said I was uniquely identifiable out of 166,000 people. So I wouldn't sweat it too much that your oddball OS is what's fingering you. Judging from my result it looks like your plugins alone will give the game away.

Beans

i dony know how much truth there is in that site, but it tells me "Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 166,824 tested so far". which to be honest i dont believe
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans

Just like everybody else, I'm unique as well apparently.

Beans

If I test multiple times, I become less unique by over 10,000 each time?

It is still an interesting site, particularly the detailed info' that is being picked up from the browser, even when using a variety of methods to be more anonymous.

1/27,000

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It seems to me that the site itself is taking your (browser configuration) fingerprint. Information that it can use to coordinate with others to trace your activities. I didn't try it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jfloydb View Post
    It seems to me that the site itself is taking your (browser configuration) fingerprint. Information that it can use to coordinate with others to trace your activities. I didn't try it.
    The point is, ANY site can do that.

[Edit:] https://www.eff.org/
    Last edited by handy; January 29th, 2010 at 04:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you are aware of Permutations and Combinations, 170,000 users isn't exactly a lot. Well, let's see how hard it would be to have 170,000 possibilities off of a relatively insignificant possibilities.

Let's start here: how many distro's are there: Debian (say there's three different versions in use: old_stable, stable, and unstable). Ubuntu: 8.04, 9.04, 9.10 and 10.04, Let's say there are 10 other linux operating systems with 3 different versions each..

So that's 10*3+1*3+1*4 = 37 different operating system versions.

Let's say each one has just two different versions of the browser. Since you may or may not be running an up to date distro AND OR custom compiled, this is somewhat fair

People have from 0 to up to 50 addons in Firefox/iceweasel

Among those addons there is probably a variation of versions in use. Let's just say there are an average of 3 version variations.

Most Linux have a media player, there is a variation with respect to Gnome or KDE... maybe more, we'll just suppose 2 here

Those media players have various plugins. This will be left to include the movie player as well.

Let's say there are only 5 different screen resolutions available.

You could have from about 15 fonts up to many many more... We won't include this variation since it is too ahrd to predict.

Ignoring ALOT of other variations: 55,500 possibilities...

Well, if you only multiplied that by 3, you have ur 165000 possibilities.

Beans
    Hidden!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast