Thread: X forwarding from Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

X forwarding from Windows

Is it possible to forward X11 from Windows to a linux machine? Such as, running MS office or other software that runs on windows to your Linux desktop?

Beans

Re: X forwarding from Windows

I'm not sure what you mean. X11 is on Linux only. It is the process that runs your GUI. This would not be running windows in linux.
    Did you mean VNC?

You could run windows virtually in virtualbox or use wine to run windows programs though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You can certainly run a remote desktop if that's what you mean. Either end can be Windows, Linux, or any other OS that supports RDP.

Beans
    Distro

No I meant window forwarding from windows. Me and a friend are trying out our luck with cloud computing using Ubuntu. We wanted to know if that was possible. We would like to run programs without the need for windows. Except windows be on the server. Would windows server edition accomplish this task? Also, slightly off topic, will the cloud server be able to utilize high end video and/or audio? Or would this be accomplished, notibaly audio, over ethernet.

Beans

Sorry you can't just forward a windows as linux uses a completely different desktop management system to windows. I don't think you can do this linux to linux or Microsoft to Microsoft anyway.

VNC is you closest option.

Beans
    Distro

I know window forwarding can be achieved in linux using the ssh -X command. And how is it software ran from a server such as Microsoft office can be done in a business environment?